Details: Commensurate with qualifications
1288 Upshur Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Job Title: Bilingual Home Visitor
Program: Early Head Start
Classification: Full Time- Exempt
Location: Washington, DC NW
Reports to: Director of Early Head Start
The Bilingual Home Visitor will be responsible for the planning and implementation of the program’s educational approach in the context of the home and during group “socialization” experiences to promote and support the role of the parent as their child’s primary teacher. Also collaborates with families in assessing their family needs and strengths and in providing case management to assist families in accessing family services and support. The Bilingual Home Visitor participates in program recruitment, enrollment and attendance efforts for all Early Head Start children. Works closely with families and other program staff to ensure all health, nutrition, mental health, and disabilities service requirements are met in an effective and timely manner.
- Conduct weekly 90-minute home visits to young children and their families and facilitate group “socialization” experiences and other family group activities.
- Design and implement with parents an individualized curriculum in the context of the home and during group “socialization” experiences for all enrolled children based on ongoing observations, screenings, assessments, and parent’s desires.
- Utilize all CentroNía required screening and assessment tools and performance standard guidance to address child health, nutrition, and development and provide effective follow-up on information gathered.
- Monitor and educate parents with respect to children’s health status, including medical follow-up, physical health, dental health, mental health, and nutritional intake.
- Complete documentation of home visits, socialization experiences, and other relevant activities in a timely manner and maintain confidentiality of family records and information on our database management system (COPA)
- Complete quarterly assessment through Teaching Strategies Gold
- Administer ASQ-3 within the first 45-days of enrollment and as dictated on developmental chart
- Plan individual activities to stimulate learning, according to ages of children and that foster independence, trust and emotional security.
- Provide opportunities with support and guidance for each child to explore a variety of sensory and gross motor and fine motor experiences.
- Implement instructional activities including indoor and outdoor experiences that promote and support emerging communication skills, creative arts, social emotional and physical development and positive approaches to learning.
- Implement and assist in evaluating a family service program which includes: family needs and strength assessment, family action planning, referral, direct service, follow-up and closure, particularly in the areas of job training/placement and literacy.
- Implement comprehensive family services and support that include referral, outreach, and recruitment to community agencies, and volunteer services to ensure that families identified as high risk access needed services and develop needed support systems
- Collaborate with families to establish family development goals, and document this collaborative process in family partnership agreements and provide education and support services to families.
- Provide management, crisis intervention, and resource referral services and transport family when appropriate to and from community resources or other activities.
- Act as liaison and advocate between community resources and Early Head Start families.
- Promote and support the role of the parent as their child’s primary teacher and foster the attachment between them.
- Involve parents in educational activities of the program to enhance their role as the principal influence on the child’s education and development and assist parents to increase knowledge, understanding skills, and experience in child growth and development.
- Encourage parent participation in parent groups at the center and provide opportunities for parents to use their skill and talents in the classroom.
- Assist in organizing family conferences, participate in child study teams, case conferences, inter- agency conferences, and IFSPs.
- Promote high quality interpersonal communication between children, families, peers, support/management staff, and community services/schools and community helpers. In bilingual settings, communicate both verbally and in writing, with both the parents and the children in their language when possible.
Key Qualifications – Required experience and education
- 2 years working experience with children and families in a human service setting.
- CDA with Home Visitor endorsement
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, or related field.
- Effective communication skills.
- Flexibility in regards to schedules, sharing of tasks and changes in routines and plans.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish / Spanish-English)
Expected Work hours:
A maximum of 40 hours a week.
Some traveling is expected for this position.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
CentroNía participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization of employees. This position requires submission of required fingerprint background check.
CentroNía provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CentroNía complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, it is necessary to specify the physical, mental and environmental conditions of the Essential Duties of the job. The following codes are used to explain the frequency of physical activity:
"F" for frequently; "O" for occasionally; "N" for not at all
On the job the employee must be able to carry/lift loads of:
( F ) Light (up to 25lbs.)
( F ) Moderate (25-50lbs.)
( O ) Heavy (over 50lbs.)
On the job the employee must:
( F ) Bend ( O ) Sit ( F ) Squat and Kneel ( F ) Stand ( F ) Crawl ( F ) Walk ( O ) Climb ( F ) Push/Pull
( F ) Handle objects (Manual Dexterity) ( O ) Reach above shoulder level ( F ) Use fine finger movements.
Community-based organization with a safe, stable and healthy environment.
CentroNia has a very diverse staff, and Spanish/English bilingualism is essential to conduct business and serve clients.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors to perform other instructions or duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time for any reason.
Our benefits include:
· Work-Life harmony
· Health and Dental Plan
· Life Insurance
· Child Care Discounts
· Professional Development Opportunities
· Competitive 401K Plan
· Inclusive work environment
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter; indicating the position you are applying to:
Attn: Human Resources
1420 Columbia Road, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Fax (202) 745-0154
CentroNía is an equal opportunity employer.