444 North Capitol Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is currently hiring a Project Engineer, a position located in Washington, DC.
Nature of Position:
The NTPEP Project Engineer supports AASHTO’s National Transportation Product Evaluation Program (NTPEP). Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Project Engineer is responsible for the implementation of new products, monitoring the sustainability of current NTPEP technical committees, being the Liaison for several NTPEP technical committees, and managing the APEL technical committee within NTPEP. Additionally, the Project Engineer provides support for AASHTO’s Committee on Materials and Pavements (COMP). Tasks include the following:
· Solicit and organize feedback from state DOTs regarding the addition of new products and audits to the NTPEP scope
· Guide new technical committees from inception through product realization
· Collaborate with state and industry members on the creation of work plans and other supporting documents for new technical committees
· Monitor sustainability of current NTPEP technical committees, assisting with revitalization efforts or sunsetting, as needed
Duties associated with managing the APEL technical committee within NTPEP include:
· Assist the NTPEP Program Manager with preparing the yearly budget
· Review and approve all associated check requests
· Facilitate monthly conference calls with the APEL Council
· Review and process all applications received through APEL website
· Responsible for identifying labs to perform all evaluations and making sure contracts are drafted and implemented for all evaluations
· Oversee administration of APEL website
· Responsible for managing technical consultant and the activities they are responsible for
Duties associated with a NTPEP Liaison include:
· Become familiar with assigned technical committees’ work plans, testing protocols, and structure
· Communicate with manufacturers interested in participating in NTPEP along with reviewing and accepting applications in DataMine
· Track product progress through DataMine from application to data release
· Gather feedback from manufacturers, test facilities, and states and facilitate any necessary responses
· Assist committees in making changes to work plans, DataMine, and testing protocols
· Facilitate quarterly conference calls and assist with agenda creation and document distribution
· Attend the annual NTPEP meeting and provide support for associated technical committees
The incumbent may be expected to assist with the Committee on Materials and Pavements as AASHTO support. Tasks would include the following:
· Provide AASHTO support to technical subcommittees and assist with mid-year webinars
· May attend the annual COMP meeting and provide support for associated tech sections
· Help facilitate feedback and suggestions for improvements to applicable standards and specifications
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three to six years of experience in a technical or engineering-related field. An engineering degree or a degree in a related technical or scientific discipline is desired.
The incumbent will have strong written, speaking, and presentation skills and have the ability to travel to meetings and other events and remain professional in different environments. The incumbent must be able to demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written, and to work cooperatively with contractors, staff, and task force members. The incumbent will have the ability to manage several different projects and prioritize tasks. The incumbent will be a self-starter with strong time management skills and intermediate to strong computer competence particularly in Microsoft Office, webinar software, and an aptitude for learning new applications.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 25, 2018.
AASHTO is an equal opportunity employer.