Details: Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
3160 De La Cruz Blvd.
We seek a full-time Civil Rights Attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with a strong passion for public interest law and experience in representing discriminated individuals in front of administrative bodies/tribunals and courts. The candidate will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct intakes and investigate legal claims through effective communication with an incredibly diverse community
- Manage a considerable caseload (our attorneys currently manage approximately 100 intakes each per year)
- Perform in-depth legal research
- Legal writing including, but not limited to, drafting complaints, letters, and memos; and non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issuing briefings, and reports
- Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, media contacts, etc.
- Work to educate and empower community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions
- Travel for outreach including participating in community events and coalition meetings
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission. Candidates who pass the July 2018 Bar may be considered
- Experience advocating for, representing and/or litigating on behalf of clients in areas such as employment, religious discrimination, public accommodation, denial of benefits by governmental and private actors in courts and administrative agencies
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Bay Area
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, and WestLaw Next
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications (preferred)
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & LOCATION
The Civil Rights Attorney will be based in CAIR’s Santa Clara office and report to the Executive Director.
Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Bar membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your legal writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Civil Rights Attorney”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by November 30, 2018.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.