The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. We also work with our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to identify areas of opportunity to make our organization a great place to work.
We are seeking a hands-on DEI & HR Program Manager to lead the design and execution of initiatives to foster diversity in our talent and retention practices, and to influence our culture. The DEI & HR Program Manager will also participate in the design and execution of organization-wide initiatives to improve our employees’ experience across people processes and throughout the employee lifecycle. This is a new position in our organization, so the incumbent will have the opportunity to shape the role and apply creativity and innovation as we evolve our DEI & HR programs. The position will report directly to the CHRO.
Please follow application instructions at the end of posting. Do not use quick apply features via LinkedIn or other sites.
External Partnership Management
- Serves as the primary Program Manager for external partnerships on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
- Selects, manages, and tracks the impact of our external partnerships as it relates to the attraction, retention, and promotion of a diverse workforce
Training & Development
- Facilitates core development initiatives to educate staff (people managers and employees) on how to recognize, accommodate, and celebrate individual differences and how these can impact growth and productivity
- Audits DEI training and program materials that aid in cultural awareness.
- Evaluates the potential impact of introducing new diversity initiatives and considers the outstanding needs of the organization
- Works collaboratively with ERGs to create and execute an annual training program with focus on diversity and inclusion education
DEI Consulting & Project Management
- Serves as a consultant to departments and Executive Team to help build strategies and action plans that support the Brennan Center’s DEI priorities.
- Provides guidance to individual staff members to help navigate sensitive issues related to DEI.
- Influences DEI plans as part of the organization’s long-term strategy
- Provides key input in the selection, design, and/or development of programs to attract, retain, and promote a diverse workforce.
- Develops performance indicators for measuring the progress of diversity initiatives and prepares quarterly reports and recommendations to the Executive and Management teams to guide current and future plans.
- Prepares and delivers communications and presentations on DEI to Executive Team, Management and Staff as needed
- Leads ongoing internal assessments to identify and overcome barriers to the goals of achieving excellence for DEI.
- Meets regularly with ERGs to discuss ideas to advance DEI in the organization and to provide support on their specific ERG goals.
- Partners with HR Managers to develop, implement and execute HR initiatives across the spectrum practices conducive to improve employees’ experience in the organization (e.g., performance management, new HRIS applications and tools, workplace design projects, career development, etc.)
- Leads the implementation of HR organization-wide programs and initiatives that have direct influence in DEI, employee experience and engagement, and organizational culture.
- Engage staff throughout organization to assess needs, build buy-in, and facilitate understanding of organization-wide DEI strategy.
- 3-5 years of experience in designing and implementing DEI programs and initiatives with demonstrated strong impact on organization culture and advancement of DEI in the workplace
- Breadth of knowledge in both HR and DEI areas and best practices
- Nuanced understanding of power dynamics and intersecting axes of difference (age, race, ethnicity, disability, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, and socio-economic circumstance) and how they play out in a workplace
- Strong experience managing ERGs in a collaborative and productive way that contributes to the achievement of concrete DEI goals
- Outstanding customer service and ability to address questions and concerns from management and staff in a productive and effective manner
- Highly curious, with intentional approach to seek information from other organizations and industries in DEI and learn from and adapt various employee experience and engagement initiatives
- Good experience sourcing, developing, and delivering DEI training, both for classroom training as well as for eLearning solutions.
- Strong meeting facilitation and presentation skills
- Autonomous, resourceful, collaborative, and adaptive
- Creative thinker with bias towards innovation and challenging status-quo
Scrappy, self-starter, solutions and results-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills; user training experience.
- Data driven, critical, and analytical thinker who leverages data and analytics to develop insights, drive decisions, measure impact, and achieve results
- Ability to work with various levels of staff across the organization
- Ability to multi-task and effectively juggle competing priorities among many demands.
- Ability to build strong relationships through demonstrating emotional intelligence and earning trust and respect
- Nonprofit experience, with mission-driven organization preferred but not required.
- Certified Diversity Professional (CDP), Certified Diversity Executive (CDE) or other related diversity certification preferred
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) preferred
Salary: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is available as well.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/ROyloAkuc3/DEI-HR-Program-Manager. Please upload as one document (where it says “attach resume”) the following application materials: resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “DEI & HR Program Manager" in the subject line, after registering in the online system. An online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure your application is reviewed.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.