70 Lincoln Center Plaza
The School of American Ballet (SAB) seeks a Manager, Individual Giving to support the Individual Giving branch of the development department, part of a ten person team responsible for raising over $6 million each year. Founded in 1934 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein to train dancers for professional ballet careers, SAB is a constituent organization of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and is the official—yet independent—school of New York City Ballet.
Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Manager, Individual Giving will work to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors with a focus on strategies to attract new mid-level prospects in the $2,500 to $10,000 range, and enhance the current level of support. This position will have a dual focus on the acquisition of new members as well as the donor upgrade process.
Key job responsibilities include:
Identify and research new donors to grow base of individual support, with a focus on mid-level donors.
Cultivate, solicit, and steward an assigned portfolio of 50-100 prospects in the gift range of $2,500 - $10,000.
- Plan and execute cultivation events and follow-up efforts; organize and conduct donor-specific tours, meetings, and cultivation opportunities; attend SAB Membership donor events and special events which include some evenings and weekends.
- Conduct an average of 10 prospect visits monthly.
- Document prospect interactions in an accurate and timely fashion, tracking contact reports, proposals, capacity, and inclination through Raiser’s Edge.
- Build and maintain relationships with appropriate faculty and staff across the school to understand and effectively communicate school-wide funding priorities.
- Prepare leadership briefings for assigned prospects.
- Superior presentation and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate the School’s mission, programs, and case for support.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting five figure gifts.
- Two years of frontline fundraising experience.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic community in New York a plus.
- Ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced environment and to juggle multiple projects, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Database experience required; Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
SAB offers a superior benefit package, including full health benefits, four weeks vacation (plus two holiday
weeks in December), and generous retirement savings benefits. The School of American Ballet is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. The School of American Ballet is committed to an equitable and inclusive program
and a diverse faculty, staff and student body. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or agencies please
Minimum Education Required