646 Malcolm X Boulevard
New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
Title: Activity Specialist – Sports
Basic Function: Facilitation implementation of program activities for a group of middle school-aged afterschool participants while creating a nurturing environment that fosters the creativity and educational advancement of the children.
Location: HVA – 244 West 144th Street, New York, NY 10030
Hours: Part Time: 6 hours per week
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of 6th to 8th grade participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
· Create a supportive and nurturing group environment.
· Ensure the safety of all the children.
· Facilitate programmatic elements for the group.
· Provide age-appropriate activities according to the program activity schedule.
· Develop and implement lesson plans.
· Prepare materials and hand-outs for lessons.
· Create and coordinate student performances.
· Attend team and group supervision meetings.
· Attend professional development trainings as required by the agency and program contract.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum Associate’s Degree in a related field or two years of experience working with students (elementary or middle-school aged) required.
· Must have strong interest in working with children.
· Must have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of program and school staff.
· Must have excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills.
· Experience overseeing a group of young people preferred.
· Experience creating lesson plans preferred.
General Requirements: All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Mission Society.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply: Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resumes with cover letter to HR@nycmissionsociety.org or fax to 212-979-5764. Include in Subject Line: Re: Activity Specialist, Power Academy.
Visit our website at www.nycmissionsociety.org.
Note: We are unable to accept phone calls. Applicants must meet qualifications stated above. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
New York City Mission Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.