Third Way’s Politics team advances the cause that pragmatic progressivism is the best path to create and sustain meaningful change and address our country’s most pressing policy problems. The Political Analyst will draft and deploy high-impact written materials, public opinion research, data analysis, digital content, and presentations to help policymakers and political influencers better understand American voters and persuade them to appeal to a broad coalition with a pragmatic progressive message and agenda.
As the Political Analyst, a typical day might include…
- Drafting high-impact written reports, memos, op-eds, and presentations that offer persuasive evidence that American voters prefer a pragmatic approach and that winning elections and governing both require appealing to a broad coalition of voters, not just one party’s activist base;
- Collecting, analyzing, and summarizing qualitative and quantitative public opinion research to help policymakers, campaigns, and political influencers understand how American voters view a wide variety of issues, and how to best navigate them to build broad support;
- Analyzing historical and recent electoral and political data to come up with new insights and proof points that advance our case;
- Helping to organize and promote public events to elevate our research and expand the reach of our political and public opinion analyses; and,
- Working collaboratively with the Third Way communications team to create written and graphic materials that will inform donors, partners, press, and other influencers and persuasively convey our political perspective in a way that is sticky and memorable.
This might be the job for you, if you have…
- A sophisticated understanding of the major issues in American politics including the mechanics of elections and the motivations of the major players who influence them, as well as a passion for a pragmatic brand of progressivism;
- Experience independently analyzing public opinion research and ability to understand and communicate with polling teams hired to conduct original quantitative and qualitative projects;
- Experience handling primary data and producing analyses using Excel, statistical packages, or other software programs to generate valuable but clear insights about American politics and voters;
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly on complex topics for an audience of non-experts;
- An attention to detail for fact-checking, proofing, and other quality controls; and,
- A graduate degree or an undergraduate degree in a relevant field plus relevant work experience.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Join another team member for an external meeting or event to begin developing relationships with our network of partners and allies in Washington, DC.
- Draft a public product that highlights a concept of vital importance to the upcoming 2020 election.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.