American Documentary, Inc. (AMDOC) is a thirty one-year old 501(c)(3) non-profit media arts organization dedicated to supporting bold documentary, and documentarians, for the public good. AMDOC’s award-winning two core series, PBS’ POV and World Channel’s America Reframed have brought powerful non-fiction storytelling into Americans’ lives across the country and sparked public dialogue on issues of national importance. Learn more about our mission: www.amdoc.org.
The Vice President of Impact and Engagement Strategy (VPIES) will join our senior leadership team and be a strategic thought-partner to the Executive Director (ED), overseeing all aspects of this award-winning $5M+ organization’s Community Engagement and Education, Audience Engagement, Station Relations, Filmmaker Programs and Industry Partnerships. The successful candidate will be a hands-on self-starter and participative manager with the ability to organize, prioritize and see the big picture in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This position will play a critical role in strategic decision-making as AMDOC continues to enhance its quality programming and build its internal capacity in its 31st year and beyond.
This is a tremendous opportunity to strengthen a well-respected media arts organization that cares about its impact within the film community and the world. The VPIES will have a deep passion for AmDoc’s work and will approach all work as a strategist, creative problem solver, strong collaborator, and with an entrepreneurial spirit.
You are an established leader with 10+ years of professional experience and deep networks.
You are an engaging storyteller who can inspire others with your own passion for AmDoc’s mission and the importance of its work.
You are excited about engaging community members, organizers and educators through dynamic, forward looking strategies, including catalyzing digital networks and platforms.
You are comfortable using data to drive strategy and measure impact and are adept at using technology/digital systems to support your teams’ work.
You thrive in a vibrant, fast-paced environment and are able to strategically prioritize time and competing initiatives, focusing on those that will have the greatest impact.
You have a record of effectively empowering and managing staff to achieve ambitious goals.
Strategy & Leadership
- Lead the Impact/Engagement division with a focus on managing and mentoring a high-performance team; set objectives and priorities; monitor results and evaluate performance.
- Contribute thoughtfully as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, helping guide the strategic management of the organization and sharing information back to your departments.
- Work with your fellow VPs to proactively problem solve and build clear communication channels across AmDoc; foster productive interface across department lines.
- Effectively manage direct reports, cultivating a collaborative and inclusive team culture.
- Use data driven approaches to improve engagement methodologies across division, and across the organization
- Represent the organization publicly as needed
Community Engagement & Education/POV Engage
- Evaluate current strategy and techniques and help department pivot as necessary
- Work closely with director to oversee campaign design and strategy
- Manage high level campaigns, liaising with partners and funders
- Regularly review the structure and workflow of the department
- Provide additional support editing and overseeing materials as needed
- Mentor and develop staff through a supportive and collaborative approach
- Liaise with donors specifically re: CEE or campaign work
- Advise America ReFramed on related CEE matters and creatively seek ways to support the series
Station Relations & Strategic Partnerships
- Oversee Director of Station Marketing and Audience Engagement and give strategic feedback on department direction, helping to build infrastructure and prioritize
- Assist Director in building meaningful, ongoing relationships with station staff and other leaders in public media community
- Strategize around the evolving role of industry partnerships for organization
Filmmaker Engagement & Field Building Programs
● Oversee AMDOC field building initiatives, including developing and monitoring program budgets, hiring and managing staff and conducting program evaluations
● Manage Program staff to conduct outreach and day-to-day operations of existing field building projects including, but not limited to, the Internship Program, the Filmmaker Emergency Fund and the Patron Fund
● Work with senior leadership and institutional partners to formulate and fund long-range field building initiatives including, but not limited to the Curatorial Fellowship Program, Post-Production Artist Residency, and Archive Project
Qualifications and qualities
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in relevant field or equivalent work experience preferred
• Deep knowledge of and experience with community engagement best practices
• Exceptional relationship-building skills, with a focus on cultivating partnerships
• Strong people and team management skills, with a proven record of hiring, training and growing staff
• Standout abilities as a written and verbal communicator, with an approach tailored to diverse audiences
• A collaborative and flexible style, with a learning orientation and team approach
• A high degree of intercultural competence, and a commitment to building a team that is racially and socioeconomically diverse, inclusive and welcoming to members of all backgrounds and identities
• A successful track record in setting priorities, unyielding attention to detail, and a keen analytic mindset that supports sound decision-making and effective problem solving.
· Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with an ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
· Must be able to work against tight timelines, operate with a sense of urgency and perform under pressure, especially in peak periods of the year.
· Confident, out-going personality with an infectious can-do attitude.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of AMDOC.
We are a multicultural organization made up of individuals from varied backgrounds. We value the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and are inclusive of all members of our team in producing the best work product. We welcome applicants who will contribute to our goal of building a strong, diverse, and thriving organization that is capable of producing outstanding results as it evolves.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, with salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Vice President of Impact & Engagement Strategy” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. We regret that due to the large number of applications we receive, we can only respond personally to the applicants who best meet our needs for this position.
American Documentary, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.