Middle School Reading Workshop Long Term Substitute Teacher
- Job posted by Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School
Full Time Temporary
3751 North Broadway
Bernard Zell is an independent Jewish day school for the 21 st century where academic purpose,
collaborative learning, and deep commitment to humanity develop engaged, confident learners and
compassionate leaders for a stronger, more vibrant community and world. A pluralistic community day school, Bernard Zell welcomes students and families of varied religious beliefs and observance. The school combines Jewish learning and tradition with the best of innovative educational practice in a challenging and nurturing learning environment.
Job Summary and Scope of Responsibility:
Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School is seeking an experienced, innovative, and energetic Middle School Reading Workshop Substitute Teacher to cover a long term maternity leave from May 201 8 through October 201 8 (with a break in July and August). The teacher would be a part of a middle school team that includes both teachers who teach core academic subjects including staff who teach Jewish studies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Teach Reading Workshop, differentiating as appropriate to support students of all levels
● Develop Weekly lesson plans that have clear learning objectives and align to the department’s
● Attend and participate in weekly staff professional development
● Support and Attend all 8th Grade graduation required events
● Develop and implement curriculum as a member of a collaborative middle school humanities and
● Use formative and summative assessments to monitor and evaluate student progress
● Provide continuous student and parent feedback including but not limited to progress reports and parent / teacher conferences.
● Give specific feedback to support student growth
● Work on an advisory team, planning advisory learning and creating a safe, nurturing environment for students.
● Advise and advocate for a group of middle school students, with responsibility for
● Communicate regularly and effectively with parents and others on the student and grade-level team.
● A Bachelor of Arts / Science in Education or English is required
● Illinois Teaching Certification preferred
● Master of Arts (or M.A.T) in Education, Social Studies, English, or History preferred
● Minimum 1 -3 years direct teaching experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Experience with middle school-aged children and an understanding of adolescent development
● An understanding of the Common Core Standards in Reading, Writing, and History
● An understanding of visual literacy and its connection to reading and writing
● A strong background in Lucy Calkins Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops
● A commitment to integration the ability to create meaningful integration opportunities
● Ability to teach executive functioning skills and habits of learning that create successful lifelong learners
● Proficiency with educational technologies including Google Apps and Chromebooks
Travel Requirements: Travel Not Required
How to Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Ashley Rapp, HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Important Information and Benefits:
● All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check.
● Work is generally performed onsite; Bernard Zell does not offer a telecommuting option.
● The general workday is Work Day is 7:45 am - 3:45 pm but must be flexible to attend meetings beyond normal working hours.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Ashley Rapp, HR Director, at email@example.com