Details: Salary is commensurate with similarly situated nonprofit advocacy organizations and will depend upon experience and qualifications.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut (ACLU-CT) seeks a dynamic team player to fill the position of Administrative Support Manager. This position requires financial and administrative experience, the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, attend closely to details, and take initiative. The Administrative Support Manager will report directly to the Executive Director.
OVERVIEW OF THE ACLU-CT
The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut is a nonpartisan, non-profit membership organization that defends, promotes and preserves individual rights and liberties under the U.S. and Connecticut constitutions in state and federal court, the General Assembly and the state’s 169 towns and cities. We carry out this work from our office in Hartford with a staff of nine full-time employees assisted by interns, volunteers, cooperating attorneys, our active Board of Directors, our six regional chapters and five college and law school chapters. We are one of 53 affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union nationwide.
This is an exciting time to join the ACLU. With enormous threats to civil rights arising in nearly every area of the ACLU’s work, we’ve seen a phenomenal outpouring of support from new members, donors, and volunteers who view the ACLU as the nation’s principal defender of fundamental freedoms and liberties. The ACLU of Connecticut is doing its part in the nationwide struggle to defend the Constitution while working to protect and advance civil rights and liberties here in Connecticut.
To learn more about the work of the ACLU please visit www.acluct.org and www.aclu.org.
A human resources and administrative oversight position, with office management duties in a small office.
Human Resources: Administer the human resources program, including recruiting and onboarding, exit formalities, benefits, payroll, and other compensation and personnel-related activities. Work with the Executive Director to ensure the organization implements best practices and strong HR systems and processes. Maintain personnel files and manage employee time-tracking system. Promote a positive and inclusive culture by making the office a welcoming and collaborative place to work.
Office Management: Plan, direct, or coordinate administrative services for the ACLU-CT, such as manage and optimize the day-to-day and long-term operational systems of the organization, including working with outside vendors, contractors and IT Services, developing and organizing office procedures and systems, and providing administrative support to the Executive Director and other office support services.
Board Relations: Provide administrative and logistical support to the Board of Directors.
Compliance: Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization. Prepare and review reports, forms and schedules to ensure accuracy, efficiency, completion and delivery to the National ACLU and State of Connecticut, including lobbying reports, charitable organization renewals, and tax forms.
Financial Support & Accounting: Manage basic finance functions, including liaising with our outside bookkeeping firm, ensuring compliance with internal policies and local, state and federal law; oversee preparation of all tax reports and the annual audit; prepare quarterly financial reports; assist in the development and implementation of systems for internal controls.
Budget Planning and Monitoring: Assist the Executive Director with the annual budget process and monitor implementation; prepare budget and cash-flow reports for Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Maintain a positive and welcoming workplace atmosphere.
· Strong commitment to civil rights and civil liberties.
· At least two years relevant work experience.
· Work experience that demonstrates professionalism, a strong sense of discretion and the ability to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances.
· Exceptional financial management skills.
· Experience and excellence with software in support of accounting and financial reporting functions, including QuickBooks (or other accounting program), Excel, and Word.
· Ability to professionally format documents.
· Outstanding attention to detail, work ethic, and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to learn new skills.
· Ability to develop organizational systems and procedures.
· Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, to work collaboratively and prioritize with colleagues.
· Experience maintaining personnel files.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· A commitment to and understanding of diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, color, ethnicity, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
· Flexibility in work schedule; ability to work on occasional evenings or weekends, with prior notice (reciprocal time-off available).
· Strong, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Excellent benefits include: paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, life and disability coverage and a defined contribution 401(k) retirement plan.
The ACLU-CT is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-CT encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and short (one to two page) professional writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Administrative” and your last name in the subject line. Please indicate where you learned of the posting.