The Marketing and Communications Director will work closely with the Executive Director and leadership team to craft strategic messaging, build a comprehensive communications and marketing plan, oversee media strategy, and develop and strengthen the organization’s constituent engagement ladder. This position will manage a motivated and talented part-time public relations professional.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will serve in a leadership capacity to build new audiences and constituencies for Friends of the Urban Forest’s work, increase our voice and influence in the community, and manage all aspects of the organization’s brand.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply as well as candidates dedicated to anti-racism, gender inclusivity, and inclusion.
- As a key member of the organization’s leadership team, help set organizational priorities, measure and evaluate progress, and respond to emerging opportunities;
- Monitor and safeguard the organization’s brand, voice, and influence;
- Develop and deploy organizational high-level messaging as well as topical messaging and talking points;
- Manage overhaul of organization’s website, https://www.fuf.net
- Manage all incoming media inquiries, develop and sustain relationships with media contacts, and proactively increase organizational visibility in the media, highlighting programmatic accomplishments;
- Oversee design and production of print and digital collateral, newsletters, and other marketing/communications assets;
- Direct social media strategy and implementation across key platforms including (but not limited to) Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn, growing followers and engagement;
- Manage and coordinate organization’s multi-channel communications calendar;
- In partnership with the development team, create and implement donor communications plan to include production of donor newsletters, appeals, and other donor communications;
- Support other staff and departments with their communications needs, contributing to the success of their events and presentations;
- Manage and support an experienced, part-time communications and marketing/public relations staff member;
- Coach and provide constructive feedback to organizational staff to improve writing, communications, public speaking, and media interview skills.
Candidates must possess the following key qualifications:
- Superlative written and verbal communications skills, with a focus on writing for nonprofit/donor audiences;
- Be highly collaborative across teams and disciplines;
- Experience building strategic communications plans;
- Be adaptable and quick-thinking under pressure;
- Strong understanding of brand development and maintenance;
- High level of comfort with web/digital media analytics and experience evaluating performance and adapting planning/projects accordingly.
- Experience in effectively managing and growing teams, with an emphasis on professional development support for junior staff;
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the Friends of the Urban Forest’s mission;
- Demonstrated track record of list and social media follower growth;
- Experience crafting fundraising/membership communications;
- Working knowledge of the local media landscape;
- Experience acting as an on-the-record spokesperson for an organization, as well as experience fielding media requests, developing internal media capacity, developing relationships with media contacts, and handling crisis communications;
- Advanced knowledge of Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Google Apps suite;
- Familiarity with Wordpress, HTML, Google Ads, and analytics;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience creating and/or overhauling websites;
- Basic skill in and understanding of graphic design, photography, photo editing/optimization;
- Experience with marketing and communications related to environmental justice and/or cause-based organizations;
- Fluency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, Cantonese, and Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $80,000-$100,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
To apply please email a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and the job title you’re applying for in the subject line.
Friends of the Urban Forest is dedicated to anti-racism, gender inclusivity, and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Friends of the Urban Forest does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of any status or characteristic protected by applicable laws or ordinances.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records.