Director of Communications
- Job posted by West Harlem Environmental Action,Inc., d/b/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice, New York City
Details: commemorates with experience
1854 Amsterdam Ave
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a northern Manhattan, grassroots organization whose mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low-income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices. WE ACT is a leader in the nationwide movement for environmental justice. Our groundbreaking efforts to shift public policy on issues like climate justice, clean air, and healthy homes have improved the health and well-being of all New Yorkers and provide a blueprint for communities facing similar challenges across the nation.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications will work to strengthen WE ACT’s brand by raising visibility for the organization, and publicly advancing key policy and campaign issues. The Director of Communications will play the lead role in telling the story of the organization through the media, print, and digital mediums.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
· Set priorities and develop an annual strategic plan for effective issue and public relations campaigns in alignment with priorities of NYC and DC offices.
· Play a critical role establishing and maintaining a consistent voice for all stakeholders throughout the organization.
Digital Communications and Advocacy:
· Develop and execute an integrated digital communications strategy across all online platforms (website, email, social media, and blog)
· Regularly generate digital advocacy content, petitions, videos, and infographics and distribute through the platforms listed above for key campaigns and fundraising efforts.
Media and External Relations:
· Lead coordination of all public relations opportunities, including fielding requests for speaking events and media interviews.
· Develop press releases, public statements, talking points, and other communications materials.
· Work with coalition partners and/or elected officials to coordinate press events or direct actions for key campaigns.
· Cultivate long-term media relationships to advance issue campaigns and public support.
· Serve as chief wordsmith and copyeditor for organization.
· Monitor the political and media landscape to stay current on relevant EJ issues at local and federal level.
· Develop and institute policies and practices to build stronger internal communications processes and work streams.
Publications and Design:
· Design print materials for outreach and community organizing efforts.
· Write, design, and/or perform copyedits for key publications, fact sheets, and brochures.
· Develop spokespeople among staff, community members, and key stakeholders through trainings in media relations and effective communications.
· Other duties, as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field; or equivalent experience.
· 3-5 years of strategic communications experience with demonstrated success in managing multiple aspects of media relations, digital media, and branding.
· Experience working at a non-profit or on political campaigns.
· Knowledge and experience working on websites, social media, and digital platforms.
· Knowledge of environmental health, justice, and policy issues and a commitment to racial and economic justice
· Exceptional administrative, organizational and time management skills; ability to self-set own priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and group communication skills.
· Fluent in Spanish (Written and verbal)
· Experience working in challenging, deadline-driven environments.
· Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite
Location: New York City, NY
Health, dental, vision and direct deposit, pre-tax transit card is available
Level of Language Proficiency
· Fluent in Spanish (Written and verbal)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Evelyn Joseph, Director of Administration and Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE ACT is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and bilingual (English / Spanish) individuals are especially encouraged to apply. For more information about WE ACT please visit www.weact.org.