New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
New Virginia Majority is looking to hire a full-time community organizer who will recruit, engage, activate and retain members, develop leaders, build community-based leadership teams, conduct political education trainings to, and execute campaign strategy.
- Build strong relationships and identify and develop leaders into clear membership roles. Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one-on-one meetings, house visits and other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda and supporting new leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation.
- Create actions, trainings and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists.
- Mobilize and track engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in database.
- Develop the political consciousness of the affiliate organizations’ leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development and developing appropriate educational materials.
- Provide support to leaders.
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing and implementation.
- Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Committed to New Virginia Majority’s mission of social, racial and economic justice.
- Experience with grassroots organizing.
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy.
- Self-motivated and works well both independently and on a team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Driver’s license and access to a car.
- A minimum one-year commitment to the position.
- Experience organizing immigrant communities is preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English languages is preferred
Salaries are competitive. Salary range is $36,000 - $48,000, commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with the position name and preferred location in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organizes in communities year-round for racial, economic, and environmental justice through political education, mass-scale voter outreach, mobilization, and intensive leadership development around dozens of issues. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.