Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
1012 14th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Director of Finance
Secular Coalition for America
The Secular Coalition for America (SCA) seeks an experienced non-profit financial professional with a proven track record to serve as a member of the leadership team overseeing the organization’s accounting, finances and related operations.
The Secular Coalition for America is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to amplifying the diverse and growing voice of the nontheistic community in the United States.
The Secular Coalition for America Education Fund (SCAEF) in an affiliated 501(c)3 non-profit educational organization. Our 19-voting coalition member organizations are established 501(c)(3) nonprofits who serve atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheistic Americans.
The Director of Finance will be a hands-on member of leadership team responsible for finance and accounting, as well as providing support for business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Finance will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team (i.e., Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director) in strategic decision making and operations as SCA continues to enhance its quality programming and advocacy and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
· Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and 501(c)4 and 501(c)3 accounting.
· Process payroll and manage employee benefits plans.
· Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors, the Treasurer, and the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
· Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
· Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
· Implement a robust financial management/ reporting system; ensure that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
· Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data; updates payroll records by entering changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, prepares reports by compiling summaries, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages; provides payroll information by answering questions and requests; maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures; and maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
· Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
· Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA or related degree, CPA preferred
· At least five years of overall professional experience; ideally two-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
· The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
· Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
· Experience with accounting and reporting requirements of affiliated 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations
· Technology savvy with experience with knowledge of accounting and reporting software (e.g., QuickBooks and Salesforce CRM)
· Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
· A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
· A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Secular Coalition for America.
Salary and Benefits
The Secular Coalition for America values diversity in our workplace. All candidates, especially those of a diverse background, are encouraged to apply. A competitive benefits and compensation package will be provided for this position. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Secular Coalition for America values diversity in our workplace. All candidates, especially those of a diverse background, are encouraged to apply. A competitive benefits and compensation package will be provided for this position.
Minimum Education Required