Details: $104388 - $104389 / Yearly Salary
SEIU Service Employees International Union
Title: Assistant Director Grade: MGT E- Salary: $104, 389/YR
Location: Washington, DC or New York, NY
The Assistant Director of SEIU's Healthcare Division will work with the Division Director who oversees 45 staff and coordinates the work of the Divisions 23 locals representing 1 million healthcare members. The Assistant Director will work with the Division Director and executive leadership of the Division to set strategies, ensure alignment across staff teams, and coordination with SEIU Healthcare locals.
SEIU is the Fight for $15 union; we are standing up to resist attacks on our communities and human rights, we are the most diverse union in North America, we are on the cutting edge of rebuilding the American labor movement, we are SEIU.
The Healthcare Division of SEIU is charged with improving the lives of healthcare workers across the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. With one million members in all parts of the care sector – including doctors, nurses, home care aides, nursing home and hospital support staff – SEIU Healthcare is the largest collection of healthcare providers anywhere. We are tireless champions of affordable care for all and fierce defenders of Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act.
We are searching for a proven leader with demonstrated capabilities in large strategic and cultural organizational change, an ability to align people and projects, and a commitment to social justice. Successful staff leaders at SEIU have a progressive orientation and can be nimble in shifting priorities to the changing needs of a growing, dynamic organization. The successful candidate for the position will have a passion for the mission of SEIU and will be able to connect and align the programmatic functions of the Division to our overall strategic goals.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification)
Shaping and Guiding Program and Strategy:
- Work with team leaders to facilitate effective operations planning and strategy implementation.
- Assist the Director and senior staff with organizing content and follow-up for strategic meetings and events
- Facilitate internal collaboration to ensure that all team leads are communicating effectively and supporting one another as needed.
- Serve as a strategic partner and advisor to the Division Director and Deputy Director.
- Staff Division staff leadership groups.
- Create and manage information flow and data repositories for Division.
- When necessary, directly oversee or adjust critical projects.
Liaison Between Healthcare Division and SEIU Healthcare Local Unions:
- Develop and coordinate content for leadership meetings including the twice yearly SEIU Healthcare Division Leadership board and SEIU Quadrennial Convention.
- Develop and implement an internal communications plan within and among SEIU Healthcare local unions.
- Helps align the work of industry councils, which include the Home Care Council, Nursing Home Council, and Health Systems Council, with the overall division plan.
- Serves as single point of contact, as needed, for Local Unions to the Division.
Budget Development and Management:
- Assists the Division Director in the development of the Division's budget.
- Provides day to day oversight and management of the budget.
- Prepares budget reports for Division leadership as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to building long-term power for working class people and creating a just and humane society
- Detail-oriented with excellent project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, often in a fast-paced environment.
- The flexibility, energy, and attention to detail needed to manage a heavy workload and rapidly changing contexts and view projects at a macro level while tracking the most granular of details.
- Proven ability to influence people to get things done.
- Exercises high level of autonomous decision making and problem solving skills.
- High level ability to take initiative and make sound independent judgments.
- An ability to move with ambitious speed on a multiple fronts.
- Proven ability to build deep and lasting relationships with a variety of internal partners, with whom no direct line supervision exists, as well as external individuals, from national leaders to grassroots volunteers.
- A team player with exceptional communication skills along with interpersonal savvy.
Include SEIU staff, elected leadership, local union leaders, International Union officers, staff of other unions, healthcare division leadership board members and officers, healthcare executive committee members and leaders, SEIU healthcare locals and the elected leaders.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Division Director and must have the ability to work independently.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree with a minimum of five (8) relevant experience plus three (3) to five (5) year's experience in labor unions or other progressive organizations, or a combination of experience and education that would provide the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally; ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategy.
- Possess a high level of judgement and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and approach problem solving in a proactive manner.
- Ability to work on a team, including collaboration on work projects and assignments.
- Ability to multi-task, establish and meet established deadlines.
Familiarity with innovation practices an ability to think outside the box.
- Strong computer skills including the suite of Microsoft Office products.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish desirable.
- Ability to effectively build and maintain relationships with staff, local leaders, and external contacts while working in complex and sometimes sensitive situations.
- Ability to direct the work of others in order to meet the mission of the division's work.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
Minimum Education Required