3002 Fort Hamilton Pkwy
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is seeking a Middle School Math & Science Department Head for the 2018-2019 school year!
Candidates should have a deep understanding of teaching and learning, be well versed in best practices for math or science instruction, and have experience working with a variety of middle school grade levels. Department Heads report directly to the principal.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a K-12 college preparatory, International Baccalaureate (IB) community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Respect: Value others by taking a local and global perspective and appreciating differences
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
As part of the Brooklyn Prospect Team, you will enjoy a full-time position in a supportive and collaborative environment.
We are a growing organization and opportunities for development and success are readily available.
Check out our most recent updates: BPCS News
About the Role:
Under the general direction of the Principal, the Math & Science Department Head will be responsible for the following:
- Ongoing development and implementation of the Math & Science program.
- Model best practices by teaching 2 sections of 6th, 7th, or 8th grade Math or Science.
- Engage students in a robust, balanced Math & Science program
- Lead an advisory and a reading hall.
Faculty Coaching & Evaluation
- Coach a team of 6-8 teachers to inspire continuous growth and retain strong teachers.
- Observe teachers and interns at least twice monthly in their classrooms and offer insights for the enhancement of effective literacy instruction.
- Conduct twice monthly one-on-one coaching sessions with faculty within the department.
- Engage the faculty in the evaluation cycle, draft written evaluations and conduct mid-year and end-of-year evaluation meetings.
- Support the teachers to implement core instructional practices
- Provide professional development for teachers, particularly in the area of Math & Science across the curriculum.
- Collaborate to update the annual assessment calendar for the middle school
- Collect standards-aligned interim and mock assessment data to inform instruction across the middle school.
- Conduct strategic walk-throughs to inform and shape departmental initiatives
- Lead data team meetings with department members
- Oversee Math & Science state testing in coordination with the operations team
- Continuous improvement of a comprehensive Math and Science curriculum plan for grades 6-8 including curriculum maps, unit plans, assessment, resource supports, differentiation, and staff development.
- Manage the departmental budget to ensure alignment to priorities.
- Run department meetings, department data meetings and departmental professional development.
- Gather and analyze evidence about the quality of the school program with respect to the mission and assessment results.
School Leadership Team
- Contribute to the development of annual school priorities and evaluate progress toward school-wide goals
- Participate in regular strategic planning meetings
- Contribute to teacher and student recruitment efforts
**The critical features of this job are described above but not all encompassing.
For more information about the IB program please visit our website.
- A minimum of master’s degree in a related field
- Current and valid New York State Teaching License
- Experience teaching middle school ELA
- Experience with the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) and/or Diploma Program (DP) is a plus.
About the Benefits:
- Salary is competitive with NYC Department of Education (DOE)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 401k with employer match
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
Interested candidates must apply via our website and include a resume and cover letter, including how you learned about the position, and the position for which you are applying.
Applications will be reviewed as received. Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we will only notify those who meet our selection criteria.
Brooklyn Prospect is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required