Seven Tepees Youth Program is a nonprofit, community based organization that provides comprehensive youth development and college access services to over 1,000 inner-city youth annually through two programs: The Learning Center and The College & Career Program. Our Learning Center works with low income middle and high school students for a period of over nine years – spanning middle school and high school graduation into the first few years of college or career – offering Academic Support and Guidance, College & Career Advising, Environmental Education, Mentoring, Job Training and Counseling. Our College & Career Program at Mission High School, a public school serving predominantly low income and first generation students, includes college and career advising, scholarship assistance, scholarships, test preparation support and college application assistance. Seven Tepees has an annual operating budget of approximately $1 million and inhabits the top floor of a building owned by the organization.
The mission of Seven Tepees is to work with urban youth to foster the skills they need to make lifelong positive choices and to create their own opportunities for success. Founded in 1995 by retired Juvenile Justice Daniel Weinstein and Native American healer Hully Fetico, Seven Tepees began as a summer camp where youth lived in seven tepees – one representing each continent of the world.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Office Manager serves as a member of the leadership team, providing leadership in the area of office management, IT, and human resources. This position also holds primary responsibility for office functioning, supervising two high school student assistants, and is the main contact person for building maintenance and tenant support.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Office Management & Coordination (60%)
The Manager is responsible for the smooth running of Seven Tepees’ administrative functions including office operations and bookkeeping support. Duties may be completed with the support of the Executive Director and other staff members, and/or be delegated to student assistants as appropriate:
- Regular office responsibilities include: managing the voicemail and phone system, answering phones, maintaining files and ensuring the document retention policy is followed, processing and distributing daily mail, ensuring supplies are maintained and purchased within budget guidelines, maintaining copy and fax machines, coordinating mailings as needed
- Financial Systems: Bookkeeping preparation and coordination includes: organizing and coding bills and check requests, prepare invoices, bank statements and receipts, assisting with annual audit(s), collecting and organizing timesheets, preparing bank deposit for review by the Executive Director, depositing checks, preparing donation tracking form for the bookkeeper, verifying vendor payments, scanning invoices (Quickbooks), and cutting checks as needed
- Website Management and Maintenance: responsible for updating agency website including staff changes, contact information, posting announcements, content updates, etc.
- IT Management: responsible for Seven Tepees technology plan vision and implementation including: equipment and hardware purchases, troubleshooting IT issues including basic desktop and laptop support, internet connectivity, coordinating contract tech support as needed, updating agency website, serve as agency administrator for Google for Nonprofits, managing student database(s), maintain agency master calendar
- Administer program database including manage migration from Google docs, ongoing administration and support and training for staff; also manage and update funder database monthly
- Monthly board meeting support: calendaring meetings and sending meeting reminders, prepare board packages, order food, and set up meeting space
- Manage renewal for all insurances and audits each year (worker’s compensation, auto, general liability), collaborate with insurance brokers (certificates of insurance, changes to health insurances)
Human Resources (20%)
The Manager will support the agency with human resources (HR) functions and employee development. Leadership team members will provide support as needed.
- Assist Executive Director in developing and managing agency HR vision and systems
- Support hiring processes as needed such that Seven Tepees continues to recruit the most talented staff available, including supporting the update of job descriptions, posting descriptions and identifying candidates
- Manage new hire process, including: paperwork, new staff orientation as needed, fingerprinting, insurance, update website, etc.
- Serve as liaison for employee insurance with brokers and providers
- Ensure the maintenance of personnel files, handle confidentiality
- With the support and guidance of the leadership team, facilitate the creation of agency-wide professional development, including annual retreat, and manage the agency professional development calendar, engaging additional staff in implementation as needed
- Support the creation of monthly full staff meeting agendas
- Keep annual employee review calendar providing reminders and materials to supervisors as needed
- Maintain staff and board acknowledgements (birthdays, life events)
Office Space and Facilities Management (15%)
- Responsible for vision and implementation of Seven Tepees office space plan including: furniture, supplies and equipment purchasing
- Manage maintenance of Seven Tepees vans, dmv and insurance compliance
- Serve as point person with tenants and board of directors for building issues including maintenance and insurance
- Support leasing process with new tenants as needed
- Provide facilities management, including contractors for cleaning and repairs, replacing lights, stocking supplies, kitchen maintenance (15,000 square foot facility)
Other Duties (5%)
- Provide support during agency-wide events and fundraisers, including, but not limited to, summer annual camping trip, Annual Dinner and Bowling FUNdraiser
- Other duties as required
- Minimum of three years administrative experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Exposure to human resource functions
- Verbal Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Experience working directly with low income youth and/or in an agency serving similar population preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to multitask, prioritize and problem solve in a fast-paced, nonprofit environment
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills; great attention to detail
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google for Nonprofits (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Ability to provide IT support, including desktop support, antivirus updates, etc.
- Familiarity and comfortability with database platforms, including Salesforce
- Professionalism in dealing with confidential information, working in an environment with youth and teens and maintain an appropriate relationship with staff and donors
- Commitment to the mission of Seven Tepees Youth Program
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Standards for Professional Performance:
- Maintain professional standards of performance, punctuality, demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Adhere to Seven Tepees respectful style of modeling, coaching, and intervention with youth to promote high standards of youth behavior.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with the agency’s policies and standards, and conforming to the scheduling requirements of the job. Keep record of all receipts, time sheets, and contact information.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a positive, constructive problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of the youth and their families.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.