Details: Competitive salary DOE.
NILC is exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights and opportunities of low-income immigrants and their families. Our mission is grounded in the belief that every American—and aspiring American—should have the opportunity to fulfill their full potential regardless of their color, where they were born, or how much money they have. Using our deep expertise in litigation, policy, and communications, we address issues that affect the lives of low-income immigrants and work with communities across the nation to create a more inclusive, just, and equitable society.
Join our dedicated, collaborative, and fun team as we fight to defend and advance the ideals that our nation is founded on!
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner and report to the Deputy Director. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, and administration. The Director will also be responsible for the supervision of the Controller, Office Manager, and IT Coordinator. The Director will also be responsible for management of vendor relationships, including outsourcing arrangements in critical areas such as IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and operations as NILC continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
Financial Management and Business Planning
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments; and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Oversee the annual audit process. Ensure the timely and accurate filing of tax returns and Form 990.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Deputy Director and the Executive Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Using sound judgement and analysis of data and trends both internal and external, the Director must be able to anticipate and react to the need for change, including the development of strategies for growth and expansion.
- Direct supervision of the Controller.
Technology and Administration
- Direct supervision of the Office Manager and IT Coordinator.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization expands.
- Provide direction and guidance in the development and maintenance of robust risk management policies and practices. This includes but is not limited to all insurance and compliance activities.
- Minimum of an MBA. CPA would be helpful but not required.
- At least 7 to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience in nonprofit organizations; preference given to candidates with a demonstrated track record in leading the development of financial and operations departments during a time of significant organizational growth.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to—and to effectively collaborate with—programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A track record in grants management.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of 501(c)(4) rules and regulations.
- Technology-savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision-making.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of NILC.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision; disability; flexible spending account; 403(b) employer retirement plans. Excellent time-off benefits!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in NILC’s mission and why you are the best candidate for this position, along with your resume, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use DFA1017 as your subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must have all materials requested and follow instructions provided above to be considered. No phone calls, please.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or any other protected class.