ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Senior Philanthropic Advisor develops and implements donor-centric strategies to raise donor sights, articulate aspirational goals and ideas, present philanthropic opportunities and close transformational gifts. This position will be responsible for managing a portfolio of individual donors, family foundations and donor advised funds with the capacity to give major annual gifts; and solicit and steward individual prospects for legacy giving. The Senior Philanthropic Advisor monitors and reports on progress, ensuring that revenue and engagement goals are met.
Strategic and Administration
• Establish annual revenue goals and report on program’s performance in conjunction with the Deputy Director of Development.
• Design and implement customized plans for individual major donors, with the goal of increasing engagement and annual support.
• Mentor and provide support for state staff in Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.
Individual Donors, Family Foundations & Donor Advised Funds
• Design and execute annual plans to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors that will meet or exceed donor engagement and revenue goals.
• Manage portfolio of prospects and current donors with the capacity to contribute major gifts in support of the priorities of Common Cause.
• Travel to qualify, cultivate and solicit philanthropists at in-person meetings within the northeast region and Delaware.
• Identify, cultivate and solicit legacy giving donors and prospects, coordinating as needed with state leadership, the president, and other staff.
• Manage portfolio records and provide monthly analysis of donor performance related to such things as retention, growth, upgrades, etc.
• Assist with special projects and perform other related duties that contribute to the Development department and Common Cause goals as assigned.
• Commitment to the Common Cause mission and a passion for democracy issues
• Proven experience and a successful track record in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding philanthropic gifts. Progressive sales leadership may be considered in lieu of nonprofit fundraising experience.
• Ability to plan and execute donor-centric, multi-state fundraising initiatives and work with high-level volunteers and organization leaders
• Strong working knowledge of the philanthropic landscape in the northeast region, prospect research methodology, best practices and evolving trends in philanthropy
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Flexibility to travel frequently, work evenings and weekends
• Success in deadline-driven environment with shifting demands and priorities
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume, cover letter, and a donor writing sample to Director of Human Resources at hr (at) commoncause.org and include SENIOR PHILANTHROPIC ADVISOR – NEW YORK in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Founded 48 years ago, Common Cause has 1.1 million members and supporters, and chapters in 30 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.