Achieve Miami is searching for a self-driven, passionate, and fun-spirited individual to join our team as our Director of Finance and Operations! This leader will oversee Achieve Miami’s financial processes, including but not limited to budgeting, accounting, accounts payable and receivable, contract awards, and capital project management. You will serve as the Human Resources lead, ensuring the team is unified in understanding our policies and in the procedural application related to fair and equitable hiring and performance management reflective of the organization’s values. You ensure that Achieve Miami offers competitive compensation and benefits which support an exceptional quality of life. You are accountable for ensuring that Achieve Miami’s facilities, IT systems, physical materials, and office equipment allow for team members to reliably and efficiently work to deliver on their role objectives in execution of our mission. You serve as brand ambassador guaranteeing compliance and adherence to brand standards. You serve as an import and influential member of the Achieve Miami leadership team both internally and externally. This role requires a confident self-starter with an attention to detail, strong entrepreneurial spirit, relationship-building skills, and the ability to get things done. This is a full-time, salary-exempt position.
Reporting and Relationships:
You will report to the Executive Director and support the organization across programs and projects. You will work closely with the Operations Associate in the areas of finance and operations.
A valid driver’s license and must be available for evening and weekend responsibilities such as programming events, trips, professional development, etc.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Create, revise, and document financial policies and procedures and communicate them clearly to the Executive Director and all staff.
- Manage the organization’s relationships with external accounting and HR firms.
- Lead the organization’s annual budgeting process.
- Develop budget tracking tools and support staff in the growth of their financial acumen.
- Oversee the ongoing use of Quickbooks Online for reporting and budgeting purposes and prepare monthly budget reports for department heads, Executive Director, and Board of Directors.
- Confirm General Ledger codes and budgets are aligned across payroll, programs, ADP, and Quickbooks.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to oversee annual budget, donations, and fundraising opportunities.
- Create, revise, and document HR policies and procedures and communicate them clearly to the Executive Director and all staff.
- Managing the Operations Associate, you will supervise and participate when necessary in the organization’s accounting functions, including payroll administration, accounts payable and receivable, banking, cash management and forecasting, and monthly review and closing of books.
- Serve as the advisor on personnel matters and ensure the organization is practicing ethical recruitment, hiring, and termination practices and lives up to the expectations of an equal opportunity employer. You will manage the organization’s staff performance accountability and success process, which includes management of employee data and personnel files for all annual and seasonal staff.
- Maintain all salary information, manage payroll processes and employee benefits, including completion of annual benefits analysis to ensure appropriate coverage for the organization and employee.
- Educate employees regarding the organization’s benefits and manage the enrollment and administration of the plan.
- Conduct 90-day, annual and exit reviews for Achieve Miami full-time employees.
- Stay up to date with COVID-19 federal policies and its impact on employee agreements, contracts, MDCPS affiliating agreements, and employee handbooks.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to define Achieve Miami’s vision and develop/implement an organization-wide strategic plan.
- Manage the organization’s property and liability insurance policies, including claims and premiums while being responsible for organizational emergency procedures and education of staff to ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Oversee all vendor contracts and ensure that the Achieve Miami office, facilities, and technology are maintained at a high level to support participant and staff satisfaction
- Oversee the organizations’ internal and external communication strategies and provide guidance regarding use of the organization’s brand and entity.
Who we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate for this Director role will have:
- Creativity: You enjoy building new systems and structures to streamline organizational workflow and are comfortable taking risks and learning from failure.
- Strong management skills: You’ve had experience managing others (both managing up and managing down) and are comfortable assigning work and deadlines to others as they relate to your workstream. You understand how to effectively introduce and apply policy and/or procedural standards in a way that translates into reliable and consistent team member implementation. You are committed to developing others and building a goals-focused, highly skilled and high performing team.
- Strong organizational skills: You thrive on staying organized and knowing what you need to do to reach set goals. You have systems to help you stay on top of your personal to-do list and can integrate new tasks and prioritize effectively.
- Self-direction: You are able to effectively prioritize and manage your time to oversee the successful execution of multiple projects simultaneously, often involving various team members and external stakeholders.
- Solution orientation: You are an analytical and detail-oriented individual with a track record of success in achieving organizational objectives, including the conception and implementation of new ideas that maximize efficiency and improve outcomes. You know it’s less about the “hours worked” and more about the impact we have as an organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills: At Achieve Miami, we work with students, parents, donors, community members, and community leaders - and we need someone who can comfortably engage with all of these audiences! You have a strong customer service mindset and the ability to navigate complex conversations. You are a strong writer, emailer, and phone-answerer and are able to communicate clearly and warmly in all situations.
- Growth mindset: You’re hungry to develop your professional skills. You constantly request feedback on your work and ask for new responsibilities and challenges.
- Enthusiasm to do it all: You know that “doing good” isn’t always glamorous - it’s sharpening pencils, answering phone calls, gathering field trip forms, and ordering buses. You’re hungry for new challenges but also enthusiastic to pitch in on the small stuff.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree required in related fields (Accounting, Project Management, Business, HR, Administration); Advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience (HR, Accounting, Business Generalist)
- Knowledge of non-profit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, as well as federal and state financial, employment and administrative regulations, such as FMLA, ADA, OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, Wage & Hour, FLSA, ERISA, etc.
- Familiarity with and regular use of Quickbooks Online or similar accounting software is required. Familiarity and comfort working within Google (G) Suite is preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
Must be able to work seated for extended periods of time; comfort working on a computer for much of the day; comfort in speaking on the phone and fielding calls. A valid driver’s license and must be available for evening and weekend responsibilities such as programming events, trips, professional development, etc.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.