TITLE: Deputy Director, Individual Philanthropy
REPORTS TO: SVP, Development
LOCATION: United States
The Deputy Director of Individual Philanthropy will lead and direct the strategic planning, management and fundraising initiatives for the Major Gifts, Leadership Gifts, and Planned Giving teams, which currently raises over $20 million annually for the organization. He/she will oversee stewardship, prospecting, solicitation and moves management and will set goals, oversee all activities and evaluate results and metrics to ensure that departmental goals are achieved.
The Deputy Director will provide leadership, day-to-day management, vision and inspiration to these departments, which include 10 professionals. In addition, the Deputy Director will work collaboratively as a member of the development leadership team working closely with Direct Response, Strategic Partnership, Stewardship and Development Operation teams. Reporting to the SVP and Chief Development Officer, the Deputy Director of Individual Philanthropy requires a “roll up your sleeves” attitude with a focus on prospecting, and providing strong fundraising and team management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fundraising/ People Leadership
- Manage and grow the major gifts program while leading and mentoring a 10-person Major Gifts team to meet or exceed the $18M+ major giving annual goal, with an endowment goal of $5M annually, and increasing revenue targets each year;
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 50 donors and prospects; work both independently, as well as collaboratively, with other team members toward the team’s annual goals and experience upgrading donors to the six level figure;
- Support and work with the leadership team and CEO on cultivation and solicitation visits; and work in partnership on developing and implementing a comprehensive major gifts strategy;
- Work with Experiential Marketing team to attract prospective donors and engage them with Americares work through cultivation events and our signature annual Airlift gala;
- Lead the moves management system to track and advance current major donors and prospects in the development database with a focus on key performance indicators;
- Work with prospect researcher to identify, evaluate and cultivate individuals capable of contributing to the different tiers of Americares’ major gifts program with special emphasis on $10,000 plus donors and liaise with Direct Response team;
- Manage in partnership with team on preparation of meaningful and effective customized collateral and messaging for individual major donors and prospects in partnership with MGOs as well as grant reports and proposals.
- Mentors and creates staff development goals, using a supportive and collaborative approach. Establishes and monitors staff performance accountability, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Oversee recruitment, selection, training, onboarding, and development of staff within the department.
- Remain up to date on fundraising trends focusing on the many aspects of gift stewardship including planned giving and donation upgrades.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to the Major Gifts, Leadership Gifts, and Planned Giving, teams while working closely with the SVP and Chief Development Officer;
- Work with regional development teams in the Bay Area and Chicago to advance Americares goals to expand and diversify our revenue base and deliver high quality events;
- Work in partnership with others on developing and executing virtual donor briefings and virtual events;
- Participate as a member of the development leadership team; responsible for creating and implementing an overall strategic plan for a comprehensive and integrated fundraising approach working across multiple channels;
- Give strategic direction & oversight to the planning, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of high-profile relationships.
- Work directly with the SVP and Chief Development Officer in tracking revenue and planning departmental budgets; ensure best practice use of analytics, data, and metrics to track progress and success of fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Help establish performance measures, monitor results, and provide reporting and analysis to assess effectiveness of the organization’s fundraising.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional fundraising/development experience, with a clear record of achievement in a complex, mission-driven organization; experience in both planned giving and individual major donor initiatives, 5+ years in a management capacity;
- Ideal candidate will have broad experience working for a national level organization with a global perspective; for-profit experience combined with nonprofit experience highly desired;
- Flexible, adaptive, and innovative management style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives;
- Exceptional management skills with a history of success building a high performing team that delivers an integrative, balanced fundraising program;
- Experience with prospecting and finding creative ways to reach new prospects and donors;
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic major gifts plan and major donors moves management system;
- Passion and energy for Americares work;
- A proven track record of staff development; mentoring and coaching team in achievement of organizational, departmental and individual goals;
- High level of comfort communicating information to a wide range of audiences, from Major Donors to the press and general public;
- Proven ability to develop a personal rapport with high net worth individuals and sources of influence;
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, specifically with Major Donors and Special Events; ability to identify strategic opportunities, solicit and cultivate relationships and a proven history of closing larger gifts;
- Must possess superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with various internal and external constituencies, successfully navigating and cultivating relationships;
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written