475 Riverside Drive
Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that educates young people for hopeful and intelligent engagement with their world. Since founding the Resolving Conflict Creatively Program (RCCP) in 1985 as a collaboration with the New York City Board of Education, Morningside Center has helped thousands of educators and hundreds of thousands of young people (pre-K to 12) develop their social and emotional skills. For more information about us, visit our web site at www.morningsidecenter.org/.
Morningside Center is looking for a full-time accountant to join a business office team of four other full-time and one part-time staff. The full-time account is supervised by the CFO and HR Director. The salary for this position is $50,000+ (depending on experience) with a generous benefits package that includes four weeks’ vacation and 100% medical and dental coverage. Responsibilities and qualifications may include, but are not limited to:
- Sharing all aspects of finance operations.
- Accounts Payable processing of invoices and payments and proper allocation to program areas and contracts.
- Accounts Receivable processing and reconciliation:
- Billing Individual schools inside and outside of New York City
- Preparation of monthly vouchers on government contracts; reconcile to general ledger.
- Prepare bank deposits
- Assisting HR in payroll processing and pension management.
- Manage Credit card receipts and statement reconciliations.
- File management and retention.
- Work closely with program staff to track and modify budgets as needed or required.
- Provide audit preparation and support for audits of government contracts and organization-wide annual audit.
- Special projects as needed.
- Participate in regular meetings of the business office team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, or equivalent experience.
- Five years or more experience as a bookkeeper or accountant in a nonprofit organization with multiple funding streams.
- Integrity and credibility; able to handle confidential information discreetly and pay close attention to details; able to work collaboratively in a team, as well as individually.
- Knowledge and experience of computerized accounting systems. Morningside Center presently uses the Enterprise version of QuickBooks. Position requires excellent skills with EXCEL spreadsheets and WORD.
- Ability to write clearly and communicate effectively in the English language is essential.
The salary for this position is $50,000+ (depending on experience) with a generous benefits package that includes four weeks’ vacation and 100% medical and dental coverage.
Minimum Education Required