250 University Avenue
Jeff Skoll established the Skoll Foundation in 1999 to drive large-scale change by connecting, celebrating, and investing in social entrepreneurs and the innovators who help them solve the world’s most pressing problems. Social entrepreneurs are society’s change agents—creators of innovations that disrupt the status quo and transform our world for the better. By identifying the people and programs already enacting positive change throughout the world, the Foundation supports them to extend their reach, deepen their impact, and fundamentally improve society.
Guided by the power of a story well-told, the Skoll Foundation believes that leveraging communications as important change agents can help achieve Jeff Skoll’s vision for a sustainable world built on peace and prosperity.
Reporting to the Director of Public Engagement and Communications, the Manager will have primary responsibility for project-managing the Foundation’s on- and offline engagement, marketing, and communications work, including the development of content and organization of convenings to activate influencer audiences with a view to catalyzing support for social entrepreneurs.
The Manager will work across Foundation and partner teams in a highly integrated and coordinated way on the Foundation’s convenings, including the Skoll World Forum; on managing and maintaining the Foundation’s editorial calendar and operationalizing thought leadership/press opportunities for staff and partners; and on any other projects that include storytelling and communications components.
This is a 9 month term limited, benefitted position with the possibility to extend longer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
i. Project-manage and ensure efficient execution of marketing, communications, and public engagement strategy:
· Work with the Director to project-manage and help ensure successful execution of the Foundation’s online and offline marketing and influencer engagement plan; and help build out the Foundation’s marketing segmentation and impact measurement system. Support Director in tracking progress against the plan.
· Work closely with and integrate across teams to update, maintain, and manage the Foundation’s editorial/campaign/speaking/events calendar. Support Director in executing media outreach, media partnerships, and convenings. Project-manage and coordinate media/partner relationships and provide ongoing grant assistance.
· Develop, manage, and populate systems and tools for project management and improved information-sharing and internal communications across the Foundation, including cross-team meetings, organization-wide intranet, and marketing tracking and reporting in Salesforce.
ii. Project-manage and ensure efficient execution of digital marketing strategy:
· Project-manage the Foundation’s editorial/campaign calendars, leveraging social entrepreneurs’ and partners news and milestones as well as developments in the field of social entrepreneurship and the issue areas in which Skoll social entrepreneurs work.
· Support continued evolution of skoll.org platform.
· Project-manage and coordinate collaboration with Skoll social entrepreneurs and partners to help them amplify their solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, highlighting their evidence of impact. Help build and manage social entrepreneur assets including online profiles, articles, and graphics. Source updates, impact data, photos/videos, etc.
iii. Project-manage marketing and communications activities:
· Project-manage and ensure the timeliness and the consistency of quality and quantity of the team’s day-to-day marketing and communications activities, including the development of collateral (website design and content, graphics, printed programs, backgrounders, presentations, publications, invitations, newsletters, social media copy, etc).
· Project-manage and help ensure the timely, efficient, and productive execution of a comprehensive digital and media strategy for the Skoll World Forum, including a robust social media presence, real-time sharegraphics, session coverage, a website takeover, press kits, and e-newsletters—all while measuring the returns on the investments made. Manage curation and invitation lists for Foundation events/convenings targeting media and other influencer audiences.
Qualifications and Abilities
Excellent organization, project management, and marketing, including:
· Well-honed project management skills and dexterity with developing project management systems and deploying appropriate project management and information-sharing tools.
· Technical marketing skills: Experience segmenting and targeting audiences for online campaigns and offline convenings.
· Ability to juggle multiple deadlines, stakeholder requests, and day-to-day operations.
· Demonstrated ability to plan schedules and resources to meet future requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex concepts and convey them in simple, accessible language. Good copyediting skills.
Technical/design skills, including:
· Website content management system (CMS) skills (WordPress, etc).
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Working knowledge of design software (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) a bonus.
· A “can do”, “roll up your sleeves” attitude and client-service approach to working with Foundation staff, social entrepreneurs, and partner communities.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgment. A real team player and a creative thinker, able to work independently to meet objectives and to collaborate effectively with staff and external partners.
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative and think innovatively.
· Quick thinker and doer: Ability to assess, react, and adapt quickly, solve problems, and leverage opportunities to meet tight deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to work sensitively and effectively with diverse people and communities across geographies, sectors, and perspectives.
· A passion for social change and entrepreneurship and the Foundation’s mission.
· High standards, deep integrity, humility, a sense of humor, and a strong teamwork ethic that drives collective success.
Education and Experience
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a project management/marketing/communications role.
· Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in Marketing/Communications or related field a plus.
· Demonstrated experience with project management and inter-and intra-team coordination.
· International experience in the social change sector (social entrepreneurship, social innovation, social enterprise/impact investing) a plus.
· Impeccable English reading, speaking, and writing skills. Competency in other languages, including Spanish, French, Arabic, or Chinese, is highly desirable.
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Full benefits: health insurance, paid holidays, PTO, and a Caltrain pass.
Level of Language Proficiency
Impeccable English reading, speaking, and writing skills. Competency in other languages, including Spanish, French, Arabic, or Chinese, is highly desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates should send resume, cover letter, and professional, candidate-authored work samples (campaign strategy briefs, published writing, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 10/19/18 but applications will be considered immediately. A timed writing/presentation exercise will be given to finalist candidates.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.