123 William Street
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Grants Managers. This position is responsible for all compliance, analysis and procedural aspects of grant making and grant monitoring at Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and ensures that all of Federation practices adhere to both internal policies and procedures and IRS and other legal requirements. The Grants Manager contributes to PPFA’s accountability, transparency and impact assessment through his/her implementation of the highest standard of practice at every step of the grants management process. The Grants Manager works closely with PPFA’s program and development divisions to construct and manage donor-supported programs that are feasible, sustainable and effective. Strengthens PPFA’s capacity to respond to financial challenges and streamlines compliance and accounting procedures so programs can flourish. The Grants Manager enforces taxonomy and develops policies for the effective administration of PPFA’s Award Management System (AMS). Communicates and promotes non-profit industry standards across the federation that ensure that grant programs are consistence with PPFA’s mission, strategic priorities and donor intent. Designs financial reports and dashboards related to PPFA restricted revenue and grant-making that informs and empowers the Executive Team and the Board of Directors to make data driven decisions and projections. This position also supports other members of the finance team to ensure accuracy and consistency of grant transactions in the general ledger and validates both internal and external reporting employing PPFA’s Business Intelligence Tool.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works closely with the National Director of Foundation Relations and the National Director of Principal and Major Gifts to develop and/or review all proposal budgets for compliance with PPFA budget policies and quality standards.
- Ensure grants and contract budgets align with institutional budgets and forecasts.
- Liaise with Managing Directors and relevant program staff to ensure that across programs there is financial continuity, consistency, accuracy, and adherence to key processes such as revenue accounting, reporting and compliance.
- Develops, enforces and monitors rates for proposal development (e.g. Overhead collection rate, Salary Benefits and other similar proposal rate schedules).
- At direction of the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Director of Finance, develops PPFA’s annual indirect and fringe cost proposal for negotiation of final rates.
- spects and validates that accurate and complete database records are maintained for grants and sub-grants within the Award Management System.
- Monitor and coordinate all phases of grant programs, including restricted contributions; from award through close out, including grant and contract administration, reporting, and compliance with approved budgets, contract terms, and legal or regulatory requirements.
- Work with finance team and program staff to ensure that key processes and systems are in place to manage grant risk assessments, donor financial compliance, and reporting management processes.
- Closely monitors grant performance for major institutional donors.
- Provide training to PPFA staff on grants and contracts management processes and policies.
- Alerts program staff to any required reports to public funders and assists with development and submission.
- Coordinate with the development and program divisions to ensure compliance with due dates for submission of budget, technical and programmatic reports to federal agencies and private funders.
- Reviews all proposed PPFA sub-contract and sub-grant agreements and RFP applications to ensure compliance with terms of contract and grant agreements between PPFA and its funders (both federal and private).
- Works closely with members of Finance Team during annual audit to ensure that relevant information is transmitted to the auditors in a timely manner.
- Ascertains the financial management and reporting capacity of PPFA sub-contractors and grantees and compliance with A-122 and A-133 requirements as necessary and appropriate. This may require conducting site visits. Reviews the work of relevant accounting staff for the purpose of ensuring that budget, grants and contracting related assignments are completed to meet funder and PPFA standards.
- Develops and streamlines processes using PPFA’s e-Workflow tool that have a direct financial impact on the general ledger.
- Generates financial reports, forecasting and analyses at portfolio and program levels. This includes, but is not limited to the production of grant receivable cash flow, net asset balance projections and grant related schedules for the 990-tax form.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- B.A. degree required; Masters degree in related field highly desired.
- Possesses extensive experience with the grant-making cycle as well as the design and implementation of database projects with direct experience with grant management systems required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IRS regulations governing grant making in a non-profit environment. Experience in international grant making preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, especially with pivot tables, vlookup equations and management of large data sets, is required.
- Experience developing budgets for proposals to private foundations.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; tact, patience, diplomacy and integrity.
- Discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information.
- Interest in Sexual Reproductive Health, STDs and Public Health highly desirable.
- Financial management experience with non-profit organizations and/or medical organizations highly desirable.
- Experience in guiding change management on an institutional level.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with detail-oriented, deadline-driven projects, managing multiple demands, prioritizing tasks and working independently.
- A flexible and adaptive approach to working with colleagues. Flexibility to work some extended hours and weekends, and to travel occasionally.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; tact, patience, diplomacy and integrity. Experience in guiding change management on an institutional level a plus. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple demands, prioritize tasks. and work independently.
- A flexible and adaptive approach to working with colleagues.
- Sense of humor.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Minimum Education Required