Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice - Small-scale Mixed Vegetable Production
The Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice (small-scale mixed vegetable production) is a member of the Natural Resources & Agroecology Team. They will be responsible for working under the supervision of the Manager of Sustainable Agriculture on the maintenance of a small-scale farming operation that will supply the Duke Farm Café with produce from hoophouse and field production, as well as a small layer hen operation. The individual will actively contribute to the implementation of Duke Farms multi-faceted agriculture program, including greenhouse production, vegetable growing , perennial crops, innovative cover crop/green manure practices and marketing through our own farm to table market and may be called upon to support other aspects of the farm as needed.
The Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice will be required to reside at Duke Farms, as a condition of his/her employment, in provided housing subject to the Duke Farms Housing Protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- All aspects of farm work, in all extremes of weather, including, but not limited to: Irrigation, weeding,
seeding, transplanting, feeding, greenhouse propagation/production, garden layout and marketing;
- Daily harvesting and egg collection as well as appropriate post-harvest washing and handling;
- Coordinate with other DF staff and the on-site café as needed to address appropriate growing
schedule, harvest schedule, delivery schedule and variety and quantity of produce used in the café;
- Assist with recording pertinent information regarding the farming operation including seeding and
transplanting dates, harvest quantities, and amendment schedule;
- General upkeep and maintenance of growing equipment, walk-in cooler and growing area.
- Other related work as required.
- At least one year of experience in vegetable growing is required, preferably at a sustainable
- Successful completion of at least on year of course work in vegetable farming practices is preferred;
- Competent and familiar with tractors and implements or the ability and willingness to learn from
seasoned professional Duke Farms staff;
- Capable of working independently to complete daily tasks;
- Ability to communicate to the general public the various aspects of the farming operation;
- Willing to work around and with various livestock;
- Able to traverse the 2700+ acre Duke Farm’s property as well as travel to other locations;
- Willing to work indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions;
- Willing to work outside of traditional business hours, including weekends, evenings and occasional
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your last name followed by “Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until November 1, 2018.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.