Position Title: Communications Associate
Status: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
JOB SUMMARY & KEY PRIORITIES:
The Communications Associate will be a key player in sharing the voice of Active Minds and informing the wider conversation about mental health, serving as a lead communicator of Active Minds’ programmatic work to promote mental health for young adults nationwide.
The Communications Associate will report to the Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations, in addition to collaborating with other staff to tell the Active Minds story.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence on more than 800 high school and college campuses, in corporate settings, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. Through our many programs – including the emotionally gripping Send Silence Packing® traveling exhibit and our compelling Active Minds Speakers – we are changing culture and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Online Communications (40%)
- Write, build and send monthly e-newsletters and other relevant network-wide and segmented communications through Active Minds’ CRM system.
- Ensure regular and relevant content is populating Active Minds’ blog.
- Manage deadlines with authors, provide editorial feedback and suggestions, and promote the blog on social media.
- Develop robust content calendars that include Active Minds thought leadership pieces, holiday content, and relevant events.
- Maintain relationships with student authors and third-party content providers.
- Assist annually with SAC media and communications training to encourage participation in the blog and to train these student leaders in channeling the Active Minds’ voice.
- Share and cross-post on peer mental health blogs
- Develop and implement updates to Active Minds’ website, microsites and landing pages, and forms.
Active Minds Program Marketing & Communications (35%)
- Attend weekly Programs Team meetings and serve as the liaison for the Communications team.
- Collaborate with the Active Minds Program Team on marketing and communications needs:
- Assist the Programs Team with content production for mental health engagement modules (ex: Stress Less Week toolkit, V-A-R guide) for use by chapters, partners, and general supporters.
- Produce regular updates for online Speaker pages and draft social promotional content in collaboration with Sales and Marketing Manager, Active Minds Speakers.
- Support promotion of Active Minds Speakers, Send Silence PackingⓇ, Healthy Campus Award, Active Minds @Work, and other marquee programs.
- Provide thought leadership in development of products for the Active Minds store, and assist as necessary with descriptive content to drive sales.
- Support the Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations and the Chief Programs Officer in strengthening and sustaining Active Minds’ position as a thought leader in the campus mental health field to students, administrators, educators, parents, and national peers and partners in the field through specialized communications.
Other Communications (25%)
- Implement a SEO/SEM strategy in partnership with the Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations
- Monitor and manage Active Minds Google Analytics accounts
- Maintain comprehensive standard operating procedures documents for the Communications team.
- Develop campaign communications toolkits for Ambassadors, Amplifiers, and strategic organizational partners, in collaboration with the Social Media Manager.
- Serve as backup for Social Media Manager, which may include weekend and evening monitoring of social media accounts as needed and direct interaction with Active Minds’ social audience.
- Provide creative thought-leadership in development of major moment campaigns (Mental Health Awareness Month, Suicide Prevention Month, National Conference, End of Year).
- Talented writer and creative communicator, able to maintain and develop Active Minds’ approachable voice.
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects with different deadlines simultaneously.
- Flexible to rapidly changing key organizational priorities as opportunities arise.
- Dynamic, professional, and poised brand ambassador for Active Minds.
- Capable of communicating effectively and enthusiastically in person, over the phone, and in writing, and with fellow staff members.
- Stickler for details and quality.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude who enjoys working proactively and thinking creatively.
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact.
You need to have:
- 1-3 years of professional marketing or communications experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in facilitating nonprofit marketing and communications efforts.
- Digitally-literate, including Microsoft and Google products, social media, and online meeting tools.
- Experience with digital marketing tools such as WordPress, and Pardot preferred.
- Experience with CRM systems (ex. Salesforce, Pardot) and databases preferred.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.