Full Time Contract
Western Bahr el Ghazal
HealthNet TPO was awarded funding by DFID/ Health Pooled Fund (HPF2) to implement health service delivery programmes in Wau state (former Jur River and Wau counties) and Lol state (former Aweil North, Former Aweil west and former Raga Counties). The main aims of the programme relate to health systems strengthening and health services delivery for basic primary health care and secondary health care.
Purpose of the position
The Project Manager is responsible for HealthNet TPO’s operations in Wau State. This includes managing a primary and secondary health care delivery programme (Health Pooled Fund 2 – HPF2).
Place in the organisation (reporting lines)
The Project Manager is based in Wau, and reports administratively to the Country Director South Sudan who is based in Juba and programmatically to the Senior Public Health Advisor in Juba . The Project Manager is the line manager of the staff contracted for the projects in Wau State. The project is implemented in a consortium in which HealthNet is the lead organization, collaborating with Cordaid. The Project Manager maintains close working relations with the partner organizations, with the State Ministry of Health, and with the County Health Department of former Jur River county and former Wau county. Technical and Operational guidance and support is provided by the staff based at the Country office in Juba and by the staff based at the Head office in Amsterdam
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
· Front to end management of the Project in the state
· Be responsible for work plan, full implementation and budget expenditures of the HPF2 project in Wau State.
· Be responsible for all internal and external monitoring and reporting in accordance with the organization and donor procedures.
· Plan project activities against outputs, outcomes and budgets. This includes being responsible for operational and financial planning, as well as human resources, logistics and procurement.
· Ensure that implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities by partners is taking place according to established partnership agreements.
· Pro-actively signal and mitigate risks and change – orders, or other relevant issues, to the appropriate staff in Juba office of HQ office
· Closely collaborate with the direct stakeholders, being the State Ministry of Health, Wau Teaching Hospital, Comboni Hospital and the County Health Departments ensuring that the project effectively contributes to capacity building and complies with Ministry of Health Policies.
· Build and maintain good relationships with local communities and other stakeholders and ensure implementation of project activities is done in close collaboration with all stakeholders involved.
· Establish and maintain good teamwork among all members of the team. Establish a coherent and positive team spirit among the staff that have different cultural backgrounds and are part of different partner organizations. Pro-actively stimulate support and exchange within the team and with HealthNet TPO teams based in other locations.
· Be responsible for the security of the team in Wau State and assets in a changeable and volatile security environment, including initiating and organizing evacuation if necessary.
· Be responsible for close monitoring of the local context developments (including attending the NGO security meetings, and other relevant fora).
· Prevent and if necessary report and investigate fraud, corruption and misconduct among staff and partners, to apply necessary sanctions.
· Represent HealthNet TPO and its activities in all required fora in Wau State (meetings with government authorities, project partners, NGO forum, UN Clusters, community groups, donors, and other stakeholders).
· Play an active role in the acquisition and development of new projects. Pro-actively approach and present HealthNet TPO to (potential) donors, and partners aiming for future collaboration.
· If necessary, carry out any other tasks as can be reasonably be asked from the position by the Country Director.
Skills, knowledge and expertise
· A Master degree in a relevant field (international development, management, public health etc.);
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience and proven skills in all aspects of Project Management;
· Capacity to increase implementation, achieve targets and fully utilize budgets
· Knowledge and experience in managing and implementing projects programmes in fragile countries, preference is given to previous experience in South Sudan and in managing health programmes;
· Leadership skills, ability to motivate and guide a culturally diverse team, operating in different geographical areas and being part of different organizations;
· Proven problem solving and organizational skills, flexible and calm in a challenging environment;
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills with Authorities and community officials.
· Computer skills incl. MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint.
· Fluency in written and spoken English;
· Knowledge of spoken Arabic and local languages is an advantage.
· Good team-player, able to listen and motivate;
· Able to work in a culturally diverse environment;
· Able to work with minimum supervision and be pro-active;
· Able to work under duress, occasional flexibility in terms of working off hours;
· Willing to travel regular between the Juba and satellite offices.
· Prepared to live and work in relatively remote circumstances.
· Ability to supervise and coordinate activities of consortium partners
Additional job specific information
This is a full-time position, based on a 40-hour work week, in principle from Mondays to Fridays.
This is a non-dependent position. Facilities in Wau are basic.
For specific questions about this position, please contact Marjolein Schut at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Health Net, please visit www.health-works.org
· An opportunity to use your expertise and contribute to our mission to improve the health and well-being of people living in fragile states. A highly diverse position in a small team where you can really make a difference;
· A full-time position (40 hours per week);
· Initial contract duration of 5 months, prolongation possible depending of performance and donor funding;
Level of Language Proficiency
English, Arabic and local languages
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV and application letter (including your motivation) to: email@example.com by the 28th of March 2018
When applying, include the following title in the email subject line: PM SS