73 Stanwood Street
Job Description: After School Program Assistant
Hours: Monday-Friday, 2:30-5:30pm
MCS RI Mission Montessori Community School of RI is a socioeconomically diverse school that inspires children to cultivate confidence, inner discipline, a love of learning, and a spirit of connectedness. We honor the uniqueness and innate goodness of each child, and empower him or her to develop skills at the periods of greatest readiness. Child by child, we nurture individual growth and build community within an environment that is adaptive, stimulating, challenging and supportive. We believe that our children, by experiencing self-worth,
self-efficacy and harmony with others, will help to create a more peaceful world.
MCS RI is the only Montessori school in RI that is committed to access for all families regardless of financial status. We are a family friendly, community oriented school, with an arts, science, and nature based curriculum. We are located on the South Side of Providence in our beautifully designed and renovated schoolhouse.
The Role: MCS RI is looking for a responsible, creative, and calm individual who has experience with and is passionate about working with young children. The After School Program Assistant will support the Lead After School Program Coordinator/Instructor in aspects of program management and assist in the preparation of daily activities.
- Work in collaboration with the After School Program Coordinator/ Instructor to develop an enriching afterschool program that includes: arts, science, music/movement, outdoor time, cooking, gardening, community partnerships, and field trips.
- Maintain a friendly, calm, and positive manner with children and parents
- Participate in daily planning sessions with the After School Program Coordinator/ Instructor
- Prepare children for the end of day transition from school to home
- Communicate daily and complete necessary reports with the Lead Instructor and/or Head of School, regarding any accidents, injuries, or illnesses
- Meet weekly with Head of School to report progress and troubleshoot any challenges
- Clean and sanitize all materials used according to cleaning schedule
- Maintain a neat and orderly room
- Participate in whole school cleaning responsibilities
- Maintain confidentiality of all students and families
- Comply with and carry out all procedures and policies in the MCS RI handbook
- Attend staff meeting and other school events outside of school time as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- BA or Associates: in art education, early education and/or elementary education, STEAM training, child development, music, environmental science/education or other relevant or related fields
- Previous experience working with children ages 18 months - 5 years old
- BCI and fingerprinting (required before start date)
- CPR/First Aid training a plus
- Spanish Language Fluency a plus, but not required
- Show a commitment to the MCS RI mission and social justice
- Interest in art and nature and the integration of the two
- Committed to the implementation of culturally responsive curriculum
- Bring a diverse set of interests to the school community
- Responsible to oneself and the team: self-motivated, self-directed, and able to manage time effectively
- Dedicated to self-reflection: in service of the self, the child and family, with a larger vision of creating a more peaceful and just world
- Exhibit creativity in one’s thinking, problem solving
- Display a joyful attitude and approach to interacting with children
MCS RI desires to have a diverse pool of applicants in order to reflect our diverse community. We aspire to a culture where each individual’s voice is heard and has the opportunity to thrive.
Start Date: August 22, 2018
Please email your thoughtful cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org Amy Borak, Head of School
Montessori Community School of RI is a 501c3, nonprofit corporation, whose policies are set and overseen by an elected Board of Directors. It is the policy of the school not to discriminate on the basis of age, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, race, color and national or ethnic origin in its educational programs, admission policies, financial aid process and other school administered programs, nor does the school discriminate on the basis of gender in its programs and activities in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Any questions in this regard should be directed to the Head of School.
Minimum Education Required