Details: Compensation based on experience.
58-03 Rockaway Beach Boulevard
Rockaway Waterfront Alliance (RWA) is seeking a talented and passionate educator to host classes with Prek-12th grade school groups for the Living Classroom Program at the RISE headquarters in Far Rockaway/Arverne, Queens, NY. Educator will lead classes 1-3 days/week focused on a specific environmental issues and include a hands-on activity for the group. Classes will be led both indoors and outside, weather permitting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead Living Classroom classes at RISE at scheduled times.
• Prepare lesson plan and materials for each class including list of required materials, expected outcomes, and any recommended reading/digital media.
• Organize all class supplies, printed materials, and digital media in advance of class sessions
• Collaborate with Program Coordinator on class schedule, lesson planning/curricula
• Maintain and help expand the RWA network of participating students and local schools
• Help plan related educational program events, presentations of student work, field trips, or visits with other mentors, educating artists, partners, etc.
• Distribute and collect assessments for all classes to demonstrate program impact on student conservation knowledge
• Track attendance and behavior for reporting
• Write a weekly program narrative for website, local newspapers, and marketing materials
• Assist in the recruitment of new, and retention of existing students into RWA programs
• Document classes with photos of children and projects. Photos should be uploaded to the RWA Flickr account after each class for reporting purposes
• Attend regular monthly or weekly meetings with Program Coordinator to review class schedule, lesson planning/curricula and address any issues with school groups
Additional Qualifications/Job Requirements:
• Must work on site at RISE headquarters in Far Rockaway/Arverne Queens, NY
• 5-15 hours per week, Weekdays 9AM-1PM during the academic year September - June 2018-19
• 2+ years professional experience working with children in some capacity (schools, camps, educational settings)
• Knowledge of or interest in the Life Sciences, Sustainability, Environmental Education
• Willingness and enthusiasm for taking students outdoors in a variety of terrains and weather
• Bachelors Degree or presently working toward degree in education, environmental science, or related field
• Experience with youth development and environmental education/ stewardship
• Demonstrates strong people skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and work independently
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Possesses sensitivity and experience working with ethnically diverse and underserved communities.
• Valid drivers’ license preferred
Minimum Education Required