We're excited about educators who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
We seek deans of instruction who are passionate about both curriculum and coaching - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and to motivate students to achieve their highest potentials. The dean will provide instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversee the implementation of the curriculum, coordinate assessments, and monitor students' academic performance. Deans of instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/mcjq4xvd3yzssy4p"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vPmrpNVUXmXnVs8bZug6eP">
The math dean of instruction manages the effective implementation of curriculum and instruction, and plans and executes whole school professional development sessions. Additionally, the middle school dean of instruction will
- Observe, coach and mentor instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and responsive classroom culture
- Monitor and assess teacher performance
- Support the lesson planning process and provide weekly feedback to teachers on their lessons
- Identify problems in academic performance and recommend and implement solutions in a timely manner
- Build smooth and efficient working relations that positively impact academics; work closely and efficiently with the school director, the school leadership team, and Ascend Learning staff to ensure student success
- Reinforce positive student behavior and establish rapport with students; communicate individual academic progress
Staff and reporting relationships:
The middle school math dean of instruction reports directly to the school director. Additional collaboration occurs with the dean of students and the Ascend network.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- At least 2 years of teaching experience, preferably in urban school setting
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Math Dean of Instruction