- Process and load data for display on the website and integration into data feeds
- Support Engineering by identifying and implementing process improvements
- Support Data Science in implementing scalable processes
This position reports to the Senior Director, Engineering. It is a full time, exempt position located in Oakland, CA.
- Key player in the data pipeline. Take raw data supplied by state DOEs, etc, and transform it for internal and external consumption.
- Become proficient in our data schemas -- where and how data is stored, and why. This includes starting to understand the complex interplay between data and web/feed code.
- Gain an understanding of our data tools, pipelines and processes. Use this with support from Engineering to implement small-scale tool and process enhancements that support increased automation and quality control of data loading
- Perform thorough quality assurance analysis before and after loading data and participate in quality assurance on the work of other members of the data team
- Support Engineering in solving data architecture problems
- Under direction of Engineering, support Data Science in implementing scalable processes e.g. creating new database infrastructure, writing scalable R code, etc.
- Assist in size and difficulty assessment for acquired data loads
- Participate in code reviews
- BA plus 1 year of work in a related field.
- 1+ years of experience with SQL, relational database management, and familiarity with working in a shell interface.
- Experience with a scripting language such as Ruby, Perl or Python (Ruby preferred).
- Proficiency with Excel, including formulas, filtering and data formatting.
- Self-starter; ability to work independently and as a strong contributor to team projects.
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, work within tight deadlines, and prioritize work as necessary.
- Positive work ethic, sense of humor, and contributor to our fun work environment.
- Experience working with K-12 education data, analytics or data science tools, automated reporting, work in a non-profit, and a passion for the GreatSchools mission, to help parents get a great education for their kids are pluses.
- Experience working in an Agile software development framework or with a statistical programming language (R) are big pluses.
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Strong ties to Oakland community strongly preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, along with your résumé here. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to improve educational opportunities for their child. GreatSchools’ trusted ratings and school quality information help parents find the right school for their family and take action to improve schools in their communities. The thousands of articles, tips and interactive tools help parents support their child’s learning and well-being every day. Families, community leaders and policy-makers turn to GreatSchools for the school information they need to guide children to great futures.
Minimum Education Required