130 East 59 Street
About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For 100 years, we have inspired New Yorkers to act on their values and invest in their community for the biggest impact. Thanks to our network of nearly 100 beneficiary agencies, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to deliver real solutions to real problems. Through a single gift, you can care for New Yorkers of all backgrounds and for Jews everywhere; connect people to their Jewish identity, and respond to crises around the world.
The Jewish Life Department is responsible for UJA-Federation of New York’s strategic planning and allocations in Jewish education, identity and community development. With a diverse portfolio of initiatives and partnerships, the department seeks to inspire Jewish life around the globe. The Jewish Life Department represents the commitment of more than 100 volunteer leaders working alongside a small team of dedicated professionals. We are presently looking to engage a Planning Associate/Executive to join our group.
Planning Associates/Executives (planners) have primary responsibility in multiple content areas and related planning committees. These responsibilities include planning in content areas, oversight of initiative development, and implementation. Planners manage two or more grants portfolios, including oversight of Request for Applications (RFA) and proposal screening processes, as well as ongoing involvement with grantees. This position includes representation of the Jewish Life Department and UJA-Federation at conferences and colloquia related to content-area expertise. Planners cultivate and maintain relationships with committee leadership and membership.
- Oversees a diverse, extensive portfolio of grants including large and small scale grants.
- Responsible for being the expert in Jewish Life and UJA Federation regarding knowledge of the content area.
- Responsible to be an ambassador for this work, presenting on it to internal and/or external audiences, individual donors, etc.
- Each Planning Associate/Executive staffs two or more committees in a specific content area (areas include Jewish Life in Action, Jewish Life in the Neighborhood, Immersive Experiences, Open Tent Jewish Life, Israeli Judaism, Shared Society in Israel and Global Jewish Communities). This responsibility includes working closely with lay leadership, designing and managing planning processes, managing RFA and/or special initiative processes, evaluations, research and ongoing lay educational process.
- May supervise international staff, project staff, program staff or students, regularly or on individual projects as needed or appropriate.
- Participates in weekly Jewish Life staff meetings
- Participates in Jewish Life staff retreats
- Participates in Jewish Life Cabinet and Department meetings
- Participates in Jewish Life strategic or other planning, as appropriate
- Participates in UJA building-wide programs and cross-divisional explorations
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Master’s degree in Jewish education, public policy, social work, law, public administration, communal service or related fields preferred.
- 2-4 years related professional experience in a Federation or similar organization preferred.
- 1-3 years related practical experience in the field preferred.
- Some competence in Hebrew highly desirable.
- Understanding and sensitivity of working with diverse Jewish populations in NY, Israel, and globally
- Interest in building a strong, dynamic, and pluralistic NY Jewish community and commitment to empowering all segments of the population.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrive amidst collegial diversity.
- Adept at working independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented, with ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, creative thinker and curious.
- Committed and passionate about Jewish life and the organizational mission.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF