1616 Franklin Street
Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks a Director of Professional Learning to support its professional learning efforts – impacting the education sector, our ventures and internal team.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable and connected culture where employees at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
The NewSchools team seeks a Director to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people. You will be a member of our Shared Services team, and will be critical in driving the overall vision, strategy and design of key learning experiences for our external network as well as our internal team. In particular, this role will: lead all design and content creation for our annual Summit conference; support each of our investment teams to create impactful communities of practice and other learning opportunities for our ventures; and partner with other NewSchools team leaders to design and implement a strong set of learning and professional development opportunities for our staff members. You will be based in our office in Oakland, CA and will report to our Chief Operating Officer.
Your legacy at NewSchools will include:
- Creating the vision, design and content for our annual Summit conference. You will:
a. Develop the overarching theme for our conference, and create a set of plenary and breakout sessions to bring that theme to life
b. Engage with education leaders and research high-impact speakers, topics and ideas across the field to identify the most pressing education issues facing entrepreneurs – and shape an interesting conversation around those ideas to bring a differentiated perspective to the field
c. Design engaging and high-impact sessions that enable leaders to think and act differently about their work when they leave Summit
d. Project manage the process, including content creation, speaker management and session logistics
e. Partner with a cross-functional team working on Summit operations and communications to deliver a high-quality and meaningful event
2. Supporting investment teams to create strong and impactful learning opportunities for our ventures. You will:
a. Guide investment teams to consider the best ways to advance their strategic objectives through community of practice events
b. Design powerful professional learning experiences for venture teams that are planning or operating new schools, developing education technology products or creating leadership development programs
c. Assist with designing, planning and executing convenings, field trips and any other events or opportunities that will accelerate learning for our ventures
3. Partnering with NewSchools team leaders to design and implement a strong set of staff learning opportunities that will build internal culture and drive impact. You will:
a. Create the overall strategy and arc for organizational learning and staff professional development, leveraging existing opportunities as well as recommending and developing new opportunities
b. Design the content for high-quality all-team experiences that will accelerate staff learning, facilitating these experiences and providing thoughtful and compelling insights tied to learning outcomes
c. Work with team leads and managers to support the design of team-level and customized learning and professional development opportunities
d. Provide guidance, support and resources to build the one-on-one coaching, managerial and facilitation skills for staff members
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion for reimagining learning for all students, especially those in underserved communities – and commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Broad knowledge of the overall education sector, and particularly knowledge of emerging trends and innovations in public education
- Deep understanding of professional learning and how to design meaningful and effective experiences
- Strong strategic thinking skills and comfort with developing guiding frameworks, organizing ideas, and translating ambiguity into clear vision and direction
- Effective project management with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Consistent follow-through, with the ability to manage multiple priorities amid ambiguity
- Comfort with complexity, and high tolerance for iterative work
- Self-starter instincts requiring little management oversight
- Ability to operate with an open mind, sense of urgency, and humility
- Capacity to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with a wide variety of stakeholders, built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals
- Ability to think creatively and be resourceful
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
Multiple years of experience designing professional learning experiences in PK-12 education, with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required