40 West 20th Street
Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the power of more than two million members and online activists with the expertise of nearly 500 scientists, lawyers, policy advocates, and other professionals across the globe ensure the rights of all people to the air, the water, and the wild. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature - work out of offices in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is looking for a committed individual with a digital content background and strong attention to detail to work with our editorial team. The Editorial Assistant reports to the Managing Editor and provides support for the editorial staff by performing a variety of administrative tasks, including scheduling, tracking budgets, managing contracts, with opportunities for editorial work as needed, such as fact-checking, researching, and writing.
- Manage the Editorial Director, Managing Editor, and Social Media Director’s calendars
- Schedule editorial and social media meetings
- Manage and submit expense reports for the Editorial Director, Social Media Director, and Managing Editor
- Serve as the editorial team’s representative to coordinate event and facility needs
- Process and track invoices and contracts from numerous freelancers and vendors
- Track budgets for the social media and editorial departments
- Report, research, factcheck, and write content as needed
- Produce web content in our CMS (Drupal) as needed
- Developing and coordinating press coverage reports, helping draft and circulate summaries of weekly press hits.
- Perform other editorial and administrative tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree (concentration or demonstrated interest in journalism, environmental science, English, or related field a plus)
- 1–2 years of experience, including internships, in the digital content field; social media experience a plus
- Strong communication both written and verbal
- Highly proactive, organized, efficient, detail-oriented, able to follow detailed instructions
- Proven ability to multitask successfully and meet deadlines
- Proficient in MS Office (especially Excel)
- Familiarity with content- (e.g. iMeet) and expense-management systems (e.g. Concur) a plus
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing environment
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Passionate about the environment and health. Experience with environment- and/or health-related content a plus
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required