Details: This is a full-time position, with work schedules including evenings and weekends.
Position Title: Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager
Reports to: Jeremiah Fellowship National Director
Location: Oakland, CA preferred. Qualified candidates in New York City or Washington, DC
Hours: Full-time, including evening and weekend work schedules
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
The Jeremiah Fellowship, a part- time six month leadership development program, plays a key role in building Bend the Arc’s base of skilled and informed leaders. The Jeremiah Fellowship offers young adult Jews committed to social justice the opportunity to lead organizing work in their city and explore how Jewish values, culture and community can support and further their goals, and teaches them critical leadership skills while taking part in Bend the Arc’s social, economic, and racial justice campaigns and advocacy.
The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager will be responsible for leading the first year of a new national model for this fellowship, previously located only in California. The Program Manager facilitates group meetings, organizes skill building sessions, and provides leadership development, guidance and mentorship to a national cohort of 40 fellows located in cities across the country. The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager works in collaboration with field staff to ensure integration into campaigns and overall alignment with Bend the Arc’s priorities. The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager designs, coordinates, and facilitates both an opening and closing retreat each program year.
- Coordinate and facilitate programming for the Jeremiah Fellowship’s national cohorts to create group cohesion, connection to mission, mutual accountability, and strong organizing and leadership skills
- Together with Program Recruiter, support recruitment of strong candidates, and manage interviews and selection of fellows
- Responsible for program management, scheduling, facilitating monthly online training sessions, and other logistics
- Plan and coordinate two weekend retreats per program year
- Under direction of Jeremiah Fellowship National Director, monitor and help develop program budget
- Lead and inform development of curriculum in collaboration with other key staff members, informed by fellows and alumni
- Support fellows through regular one on one meetings and support fellow-driven community building both in fellows’ home city, and as a national cohort
- Assist fellows with setting realistic, attainable goals and work with fellows to ensure they maintain their commitments throughout the duration of the program
- Support Jeremiah alumni to maintain their involvement with Bend the Arc through meetings, events, and opportunities for action with Bend the Arc
- Under direction of Development Department, engage in discrete tasks to support fundraising efforts
- Execute other administrative responsibilities
- Work with the Field Team/organizers to support externally facing campaigns, and ensure strong integration between the program and Bend the Arc’s work
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Bend the Arc
- At least 2 years of work experience in leadership development or a related field
- Demonstrated effectiveness in facilitating, leading and inspiring groups
- Project management skills
- Experience in recruitment and selection processes
- Previous experience in training, leading and developing groups and individuals
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and inclusion, commitment to anti-oppression practices
- Ability to motivate, mentor and be an effective team leader and team player
- Experience cultivating relationships in various Jewish and/or progressive communities
- Must be a dynamic, organized and creative self-starter with a passion for Jewish social justice work and working with young adults.
- Ability to travel and work some evenings and Sundays. Travel will be in and out-of-state as needed.
- Jewish knowledge and experience applying it in a social justice setting
- Experience working as a community organizer or activist
- Knowledge of and experience using effective methods of evaluation
- Experience with online/remote teaching and coaching
- Experience with alumni engagement
Includes paid time off and health benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.