Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
20 Jay St.
Explore Schools is a New York-based Charter Management Organization (CMO) that establishes, supports and transforms public schools in educationally underserved communities. Our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical thinking abilities they need to graduate from high school, succeed in college, and achieve their dreams. Currently, Explore supports four charter schools in Brooklyn that serve over 2,000 students in grades K-8.
About the Position:
Explore Schools seeks an experienced organizational leader to serve as the Deputy Superintendent for our growing network of schools. In partnership with the Superintendent, the Deputy Superintendent is responsible for setting the organization’s programmatic vision, managing the network’s principals, and ensuring that the principals and CMO-based program team are working in an aligned way to drive the success of our schools. The Deputy Superintendent reports directly to the Superintendent, and along with the Superintendent, CEO and COO, envisions, strategizes and ultimately ensures effective implementation of activities and initiatives that will enable Explore Schools to achieve ourmission.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Organizational and Programmatic Leadership
- Provide effective, inspiring leadership to the CMO-based program team and principals, ensuring Explore Schools’ programmatic vision is clearly understood and executed successfully
- Ensure network-wide clarity and alignment around Explore Schools model; proactively identifying “tight vs. loose” model elements and related implications at the school and CMO level
- Oversee the successful execution of all programmatic priorities in partnership with the Superintendent
- Identify and implement scalable, goal-aligned initiatives that will drive improvement across current and future schools
- Accountable for vision and oversight of network-wide school culture, in collaboration with the Superintendent
- Develop and lead Explore Schools’ vision for leader and teacher development, in collaboration with the Superintendent
- Leverage the expertise of the program team and deploy, as needed, to lead, manage and support implementation of school initiatives
- Provide professional development for school leaders in the form of workshop design and facilitation, modeling, coaching, etc.
Supervision, Management, and Development
- Directly supervise and develop four principals in their roles as instructional leaders and managers
- Evaluate principals against annual priorities and provide coaching, as needed to help school leaders meet their goals
- Collaborate with the CMO-based program team on academic team priorities and strategic initiatives
- Supervise the Director of Early Childhood
Skills and Qualities
A successful candidate will demonstrate that s/he is a(n):
- Achievement-focused strategist: relentlessly focused on the achievement of ambitious goals, acts with urgency and can recognize and prioritize highest needs, is flexible in his/her approach to problem solving and understands the need to take calculated risks for the good of the organization
- Influential communicator and team builder: an active listener who inspires others around a shared vision and motivate team members to work together to execute against the vision that has been set
- Self-aware, constant learner: a reflective practitioner who is aware of his/her strengths and weaknesses, is open to feedback and seeks help to improve
- Effective manager: a detail-oriented manager who sets clear expectations and holds others accountable for progress; skilled at creating and implementing systems and processes that enable work to be accomplished effectively across an organization
- At least 10 years of professional experience
- Experience in an urban setting with education reform required; teaching or school-based leadership experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success in leadership of an organization or team; minimum of five years of senior leadership experience supervising a team, ideally supervising an elementary school team to achieve a common goal
- A successful track record of setting priorities, shaping processes, guiding investment in people and systems, and developing an infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization
- A master’s degree in educational leadership, or other advanced work in leadership is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply