Associate Director for Government Relations
Details: Salary commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
We are seeking a full-time Associate Director for Government Relations to work closely with the Vice President for Government Relations and NCCEP leadership. The ideal candidate is a results-oriented, mission-driven professional who can work as part of a cohesive team, interact effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders, and can work independently in a challenging, deadline-driven environment.
The Associate Director will help support communications, research and policy analysis, engage in direct Congressional advocacy pertaining to GEAR UP appropriations and reauthorization, and support our community’s grassroots advocacy efforts through training and professional development. As such, we are seeking a candidate that brings a diverse skill set and thrives managing multiple projects.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Track, analyze, and synthesize federal policies that impact the GEAR UP community, including but not limited to pertinent K12, higher education, federal financial aid, and GEAR UP-specific legislation and regulations.
- Implement NCCEP’s strategies relating to GEAR UP appropriations, reauthorization, and other priorities.
- Help support and lead meetings with Congressional offices and committees, the U.S. Department of Education, the White House, and K12/higher education associations.
- Develop and maintain complex databases related to GEAR UP funding, participating programs and schools, and other variables for research and advocacy purposes.
- Effectively conduct data analysis and share effectively through visualization and verbal communication.
- Support national advocacy campaigns through the development of materials and resources, training and technical assistance, and coordinating activity across our community.
- Coordinating NCCEP’s weekly e-bulletin to share news, updates, and opportunities with our member organizations and GEAR UP constituents.
- Support organizational event planning, including the drafting and development of methodologies and content relating to advocacy, federal policy, and GEAR UP grant/program administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A deep commitment to NCCEP’s mission of expanding educational opportunity for low-income, first-generation, and underserved students.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated experience working as an advocate at the national, state, or local setting is highly desired. Experience working on or with Capitol Hill is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, database management skills, fluency with social media, and an aptitude for learning new technology platforms are a must.
- Knowledge of federal education legislation and regulations—especially those relevant to the GEAR UP community—and the federal legislative process is highly desired.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to effectively manage a diverse portfolio of work.
- Must be a self-starter who works well in collaborative settings, is detailed-oriented, and has exceptional interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time exempt position with excellent fringe benefits. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a mission driven organization that values leadership, dedication, and quality.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in helping create educational opportunities for hundreds of thousands of students nationwide, we welcome you to submit your application.
Please note that due to the high volume of inquiries, we will only contact those who are selected for an interview.
Interested individuals should send a cover letter detailing how your skills and experiences align to this job description, your resume, and salary requirements with the subject line “NCCEP Assistant Director, GR” by May 28, 2018:
1331 H ST NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
Fax to: (202) 530-0809
No Phone Calls Please