675 3rd Avenue
Chashama Seeks Bookkeeper
Chashama’s mission is to support a diverse network of underserved New York City artists with space to create and present their work, and to provide New York communities with free art classes and programming throughout the five boroughs. We partner with city landowners to transform unused buildings into artist studios, exhibition and presentation spaces, and centers for community art events. Chashama plays a pivotal role in sustaining New York’s vibrant artistic community through granting subsidized space to over 15,000 artists, hosting 2,500 public art events, and reaching an audience of nearly half a million people.
Chashama is seeking a Bookkeeper to be responsible for day-to-day bookkeeping transactions including accounts receivable, cash receipts and accounts payable support. The Bookkeeper is responsible for applying and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial data. This position is also responsible for monthly bank reconciliations and petty cash for the accounting department.
Chashama is a swift and ever-evolving environment, and successful candidates must be detail oriented, have clear communication skills, excellent math and analytical skills, and thrive in a fast-paced setting.
· Prepare, verify and process invoices
· Post customer payments and donations by recording cash, checks and credit card transactions
· Make bank deposits
· Resolve valid deductions by entering adjusting entries
· Examine customer payment plans, payment history and apply late fees to delinquent customers
· Record petty cash on a monthly basis
· Record grant and pledges receivable
· Reconcile bank accounts
· Conduct monthly account analysis of the general ledger and record adjustments
· Support accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close process
· Maintain files for all operations of the accounting department
· Assist accountant with year-end 1099 process
· Prepare schedules for annual audit
· Assist with budgeting
· Special projects as needed
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field
· Three or more years of experience in bookkeeping or accounting, non-profit bookkeeping experience preferred
· Experience with Quickbooks desktop
· Proficiency in Excel
· Knowledge of government and foundation grants
· Strong attention to detail.
· Proven organizational, multitasking, and problem solving skills
Time Commitment: Part-Time (20 hours per week)
Hourly salary: $25.00 per hour
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, please email the below items in one PDF-formatted file with your name as the filename to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include ‘Bookkeeper’ as the email’s subject line. Submissions must include a substantive cover letter and resume.