3250 Wilshire Boulevard
The Wage Justice Center is seeking an Executive Director. Los Angeles holds the dubious distinction of being the wage theft capital of the country. The Wage Justice Center was founded in 2007 to "wage justice" for exploited workers in Los Angeles, with a particular focus on the rights of immigrant workers. In recent years, we have expanded to provide services throughout the State of California.
The Wage Justice Center fights for greater economic equality and justice in California's working communities. We represent low-income workers facing wage theft in collecting back wages once they have received a judgment, and we have a robust affirmative litigation docket using fraudulent transfer and other corporate veil piercing strategies. We co-counsel with other advocates in selected litigation to break new ground in establishing workers' rights in settings where wage theft is rampant, such as the trucking, janitorial, home care and car wash industries. The Wage Justice Center has a small, collegial staff who are extremely committed to the mission.
We seek an Executive Director who is committed to our mission and to expanding the number and compensation of our employees. An ED who successfully fundraises will have an early opportunity to increase his or her salary.
The Executive Director will:
· Serve as the agency's chief development officer, with particular emphasis on expanding the number of grants and foundations, as well as the amount of grant money received annually. An additional focus is on upgrading existing individual donors as well as partnering with the board to identify new individual donors. The ED will also lead the annual fundraiser, which grossed nearly $35K in September 2018.
· Serve as a face of the organization at public events.
· Help grow the annual budget.
· Lead the organization.
· Help identify, cultivate and engage pro bono attorneys
· Lead the development and implementation of the organization’s communications strategy.
We are excited to find a passionate candidate who is ready to help make Los Angeles a more equitable place for the nation's most exploited workers.
BENEFITS: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, plus benefits, including health care, Metro Tap Card, vacation and sick time and all major court holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter by email with “WJC Executive Director” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications received by 11/5/18 will receive priority. After our initial screen, a list of three professional references and a writing sample will be required. WJC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. No phone calls please.