Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 9 countries: Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Cambodia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
I. Job Summary
As a member of the Action Against Hunger USA Technical Team, the Knowledge Management Officer will support the development and facilitation of knowledge management platforms utilized by the Action Against Hunger-USA Technical Team. The Knowledge Management Officer will improve and promote integration among information systems in the organization to facilitate seamless exchange of information across teams in headquarters, country programs and the Action Against Hunger Network.
The Knowledge Manager Officer:
Purpose: Maintain the Technical Department information systems, ensuring the proper and consistent quality of inputs from multiple sources with particular attention to database structure.
Engagement: Disseminate information to the public (Technical team members and relevant stakeholders) by updating the No Hunger Forum (NHF) intranet and producing materials to create awareness on Action Against Hunger USA technical priorities. Delivery: Deliverables reflect consistent quality which sustain the value of knowledge products and comply with the data storage and access standards of the organization.
II. Essential Job Duties
2.1 Knowledge Management Platform
Manage and improve upon the current No Hunger Forum intranet (Sharepoint) in which relevant information and knowledge issues pertaining to Action Against Hunger-USA Technical priorities are systematically acquired, continuously upgraded and disseminated internally.
- Curate technical website content in collaboration with Technical Team Members— including categorizing, tagging and archiving papers/publications, guidance document and manuals based on technical sectors within the Technical library.
- Dissemination and communication on updates to Technical Team and relevant stakeholders.
External: Organize and populate external reference Technical Library and continuously update library as resource and tools.
Monitor and evaluate use of the knowledge sharing platform, including internal benchmarks and milestones that hold Technical Staff accountable for utilizing platform and maximizing its impact.
2.2. Orientation and Learning
In collaboration with both the Action Against Hunger Technical Team and Human Resources Department, design and implement an orientation and learning package to be housed on the Knowledge Management Platform. The purpose of this package will be to orient new Technical Staff at Action Against Hunger HQ and country programs to relevant technical sector content and policies (e.g. Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, etc.).
- Identify curriculum in collaboration with relevant Technical Advisor and create onboarding package for specific technical staff in Action Against Hunger Headquarters and Country Programs (E.g. Head of Department, Deputy Country Director, Technical Specialists, etc.).
- Work with Human Resources to formalize process for all incoming Technical Staff, creating milestones and calendar for completion of onboarding process of new Technical Staff.
- Continuously update and revise curriculum as needed.
2.3 Knowledge Sharing and Documentation
Lead the production and dissemination of knowledge and learning products, capturing lessons at the organizational, technical and project/program levels, in coordination and collaboration with the Action Against Hunger Technical Team.
- Support documentation of learning documents, including but not limited to learning papers, case studies and webinar content.
- Conduct preliminary literature reviews for specific technical thematic areas.
- Provide support in establishing a platform to house communities of practice and other innovative spaces for sharing of best practices and resources among the Action Against Hunger Technical staff, both in headquarters and country programs.
- Support the Technical Team in organizing Learning events.
- Focal person for feeding updated content to Action Against Hunger Communications Team.
2.4 Support Functions
- Coordinate regularly scheduled team meetings, tracking Action Items.
- Coordinate and organize bi-annual face-to-face team meetings.
III. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
IV. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- Must be available to work and travel outside normal office hours or on the weekends as needed or required.
- Must be able to travel coach fare for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the country project sites.
- While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
V. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status. • Value and respect all cultures.
VI. Required Qualifications
- Post-Graduate degree (master’s Degree or higher) in Public Health, International Development, or related field with a minimum of 2 years of previous work with an international humanitarian organization.
VII. Required Skills & Experience
- Experience with Sharepoint or similar online platform preferred
- Working knowledge of food security, agriculture/livelihoods, nutrition, and/or WASH programming desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven ability to coordinate projects with a variety of stakeholders
- Capacity to produce high quality products when working under pressure and with competing deadlines
- Think outside the box – identify and share more creative, efficient and effective ways to engage audiences and facilitate sharing and collaboration
- Must be authorized to work in the US if not a US citizen.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All candidates should apply online at https://careers.actionagainsthunger.org/
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against HungerUSA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.