Details: $15 per hour
120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
Within AFS-USA, Seasonal Interview Coordinators (SIC) work for the Sponsored Programs Department. Our Sponsored Program team collaborates with the U.S. Department of State on several public diplomacy initiatives that are designed to promote peace and understanding between the U.S. and exchange countries. AFS-USA will coordinate interviews throughout the country for high school students who apply for two of the U.S. Department of State scholarship programs, the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) and Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES Abroad) programs. NSLI-Y offers summer and academic year programs to promote critical language learning overseas for high school students, and YES Abroad offers academic year programs to connect American high school students with communities and cultures in countries with significant Muslim populations. SICs will train, guide, monitor, and assist AFS-USA volunteers around the country, who interview an estimated over 1,500 applicants as part of the selection process for these merit-based scholarships.
SIC staff are responsible for the successful coordination of all applicant interviews in an assigned geographic area of the U.S., generally in concert with AFS-USA volunteers, or via virtual meeting with remotely-located applicants, as well as associated communication and administrative tasks. SICs will take responsibility to ensure that each student is contacted and interviewed in a timely manner, that data is accurately recorded and stored, and that all documents are submitted according to deadlines. The ideal applicant will be passionate about study abroad, intercultural learning, and education. You will be an outstanding team player who is committed to excellence and always exemplifies a high degree of professionalism. Outstanding communication skills and flexibility are a must, as is a diligent and detail-oriented nature to ensure all tasks are completed according to deadlines. You work well under pressure while remaining flexible according to shifting priorities and demonstrate consistent follow-up with all phone and email conversations.
- Provide great customer service to AFS-USA volunteers, including training, guiding, monitoring, communication, assistance with applicant load management, and advising volunteers throughout the interview process.
- Initiate and maintain contact with AFS-USA volunteers across the country to schedule, monitor progress, and track interview events in December and January and to support throughout. Assist with volunteer interview recruitment, as necessary.
- Communicate with AFS-USA staff and volunteers to finalize on-site logistical arrangements of Interview Events. Monitor the organization and program’s digital communication resources (such as websites and newsletters) to identify areas where more information can be provided.
- Conduct personal and confidential interviews in-person and/or remotely with scholarship applicants.
- Track and share regular status reports and statistics, as well as volunteer hours.
- Plan logistics and participate in in-person interview event weekends in New York City, or other locations (as assigned).
- Act as a professional and efficient point of contact for students who are attempting to schedule an interview.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education, International Studies, Communications, or relevant field of study related to this position
- Excellent customer service skills
- Previous volunteering and/or training experience preferred
- Previous event planning/coordinator experience preferred
- Outstanding written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong work ethic and independent project management skills
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Flexible, works well under pressure, possesses strong independent time management skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; database experience a big plus
- Aptitude to learn and apply new information quickly
- Study abroad and/or international travel experience preferred
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends as needed
This opportunity begins mid-November 2018, and is scheduled to conclude in mid-February 2019, with an optional break for the winter holiday season. Applicants must commit to the full duration of the position --if you believe you cannot do so for any reason, please do not apply. SICs will work in the AFS-USA office Monday-Friday, typically from 9am-5pm or 12:00pm-8pm, as assigned.
The hourly rate for this position is $15.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.