555 Franklin Street
The SFUSD community is unified by our Core Values:
- Student-centered: We put students’ needs first
- Fearless: We persist through challenges
- United: We celebrate and build on each other’s strengths
- Social Justice: We stand with those most vulnerable in our community
- Diversity-driven: We respect and seek to understand each person
We are also inspired by Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are committed to and will champion our Core Values, are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As our 0993 Director, Certificated Staffing, you are responsible for ensuring that the District has an equity-minded, high quality and strategic operation in place to recruit and staff for certificated vacancies, with a focus on classroom teacher positions. You will help to lead HR’s transformational work to become a strategic partner in the district and deliver on the promises outlined in both Impact Learning. Impact Lives. as well as our long-term, citywide North Star, Vision 2025. <img src="https://docs.google.com/drawings/u/0/d/sg80wHLOqfYGeutZd_tChVQ/image?w=4&h=1&rev=1&ac=1&parent=1cdX1ReQsk3AKep6e3xRirjHry4UnQ2iaeSGgs9fZOBI" height="1" width="4">
We expect our Director, Certificated Staffing to:
- Design, execute and direct a comprehensive teacher recruitment program, including marketing campaigns, materials, candidate outreach and cultivation, and recruitment/hiring events to build a robust, diverse, qualified candidate pool with a focus on hard to fill content areas (e.g. bilingual, special education, math, science) and our historically underserved schools;
- Direct the allocation of resources towards meeting the goals of the teacher recruitment program, including an overall staff of eight (8) and a non-personnel budget of approximately $200,000;
- Lead the Certificated Staffing team to achieve ambitious goals that further the District’s mission and ensure that our teaching workforce is high quality and reflective of our student population, fostering strong collaboration and a strong service orientation towards our school communities;
- Continue to shift the direction of the District’s teacher recruitment and staffing program to meet the demands and challenges of the statewide teacher shortage, partnering with the Office of Professional Growth and Development around innovative teacher pipeline programs like the San Francisco Teacher Residency and the SFUSD Pathway to Teaching Program;
- Advise and participate in the District’s transformation of our human capital software, ensuring that best practices around recruitment, staffing, onboarding and position management are incorporated into our future state design;
- Collaborate closely with school site leaders and LEAD (Assistant Superintendents and their Directors) to build capacity about teacher recruiting and hiring best practices and ensure there are systems and structures in place to provide school site support for all certificated hiring and staffing needs;
- Report out on progress on Certificated Staffing on a regular basis to key internal and external stakeholders, including the Board of Education, school site leaders, LEAD, and the Superintendent’s Leadership Team to maintain a District-wide focus on recruitment;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with union partners, university partners, internal stakeholders and external stakeholders where appropriate (including funders, parent and community groups, etc.); and
- Serve as a District leader around teacher recruitment, advising and participating in working groups, community advisory groups and other District initiatives as needed.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Experience with and a passion for diversity, equity and inclusion, specifically around hiring practices
- Demonstrated recruitment experience, with a specific focus on sourcing/ building a candidate pools
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective working relationships with staff, colleagues, outside organizations and other stakeholders
- Experience in goal-driven professional settings with a strong track record of meeting or exceeding goals
- A strong record of training and motivating staff to meet organizational goals and performance standards.
- A high degree of cultural awareness and competency in cross-cultural practice
- An entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
SFUSD offers a comprehensive benefits package including dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- You will be prompted to electronically attach a letter of interest and resume.
- Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.