The Shareholder Advocate works with the Executive Director and other staff, to coordinate shareholder engagement and policy advocacy work; environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) issue analysis: manage our social media presence: and assist in marketing and communications.
The Shareholder Advocate will research abroad range of ESG issues and corporate practices to identify areas for change that reflect Friends Fiduciary Quaker values and those of our constituents. The Advocate will also help coordinate Friends Fiduciary’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of ESG advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
They will help develop the business case for companies to take responsible action on a variety of human rights and economic and social justice issues, with particular emphasis on the impacts of corporate activity on climate change, sustainability reporting, good corporate governance, lobbying, human trafficking, and ethical practices in the financial sector. They will assist in interpreting and communicating the value of this work to FFC stakeholders.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in development of and have primary responsibility for implementation of the annual shareholder engagement plan.
- Conduct research and analysis on specific companies and a variety of environmental, social and governance issues to support FFC’s values-based screening and shareholder engagement work with companies.
- Communicate with corporations through written correspondence, telephone, and in-person meetings; build shareholder coalitions for companies on which FFC takes lead; dialogue and negotiate with company representatives on issues of concern; draft and file shareholder resolutions; and present resolutions at corporate annual general meetings.
- Coordinate FFC’s proxy voting at company annual meetings in support of environmental, social, and governance related proposals consistent with FFC’s proxy voting guidelines.
- Develop recommendations for updating the guidelines as appropriate and to make them accessible to constituents to better communicate FFC's value add in this area.
- Maintain an appropriate social media presence for
- FFC and its activities. Support organizational communications, including: drafting and editing of newsletter articles, updating the FFC website, writing and distributing press releases, and speaking with the media.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in marketing FFC services to Quaker meetings, churches and other organizations particularly in communicating the value and impact of FFC’s shareholder and policy advocacy work on behalf of our constituent investors.
- Represent and support FFC’s engagement in shareholder coalitions as well as with NGO partners and other ESG investor groups (e.g. PACRI, ICCR, Ceres, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university is required.
- One to three years business, investment and/or shareholder engagement experience a plus.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Able to plan, prioritize, and organize complex projects, timelines, and team member input to meet deadlines in a multi-tasking, fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and anticipate requests and respond accordingly.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to bring Quaker values and collegiality to corporate interactions.
- Good writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Team orientation that balances individual contribution and group effort.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook,
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint); and experience with databases and in-house publishing software.
- Courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.