Job Title: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Communications Manager; Donor Relations Manager
Position Category: Full time/Exempt
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; Flexible Spending Account; flexible paid time off; paid medical leave; paid parental leave; short term disability leave; 401(k) with 3% employer matching; Employee Assistance Program
Position Description: Feminist Women’s Health Center (FWHC) is seeking a tenacious, strategic, and result-oriented Director of Development and Communications who will lead our long-term development and fundraising strategy as well as communications and marketing efforts in close collaboration with the Executive Director and organizational leadership team. The Director of Development and Communications will lead in the expansion and implementation of the annual strategic development plan rooted in FWHC’s values to grow our individual contributions, major donors, and grant revenue. This position is also responsible for the ongoing refinement and scaling of FWHC’s public facing communications plan and will guide the strategy and storytelling for all communications, website, public relations messages, and collateral to represent and articulate the mission, vision, and programming consistently and effectively, including marketing strategies for our clinical services. They will also serve as the primary point person for written crisis communications and as a secondary representative after the Executive Director. The Director of Development and Communications will also support the staff and leadership team at FWHC, including the Board of Directors, to actively participate in organizational communications, grant writing, and major donor fundraising.
Essential Responsibilities: This position is responsible for the following main areas. Other duties may be assigned.
Fundraising & Development
- Develops a comprehensive annual development plan, in collaboration with the Executive Director, with targeted goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes and timelines which will achieve budgeted goals
- Maintains Major Donor Program ($1000+), cultivating relationships with existing and new donors
- Designs and executes themed fundraising campaigns aligned with organizational needs, current events, or program activities
- Creates appeals, letters, and materials for individual solicitation, via digital platforms, direct mail, email blasts, and social media
- When possible, supports thank-a-thons and engages other staff, volunteers, and board members in acknowledging and thanking donors
- Ensures that our individual donor tracking information is accurate and up to date, that acknowledgement and receipts are sent in a timely manner and are error free
- Cross references donor tracking data with accounting records on a quarterly basis to assure accuracy
- Manages grant program including identifying new foundations and grant opportunities and cultivating new and existing funder relationships
- Supervises grant research & proposal writing and engages and supports development and program staff to manage grants
- Provides accurate, timely reports and other correspondence to Executive Director and board
- Oversees grant expenditures and reporting in coordination with program and accounting staff
- Leads efforts to collect and define data and impact needs to communicate with funders and donors and measure program progress
- Leads, plans, and implements annual fundraising events
- Participates in and/or advises on collaborative planning of other FWHC events
Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations
- Motivates and oversees the cross-functional communications
- Oversees the creation of external communications such as the FWHC newsletter, brochures, and other written materials; online communications via website and social media
- Oversees the creation of FWHC marketing, promotion, and advertising, including budgeting, production, placement, and tracking of ads in traditional and non-traditional placements
- Serves as press contact, oversees the development of press releases and press kits, and provides media prep and support in message development with staff
- Develops and implements yearly communication and marketing plans in conjunction with department team members
- Oversees growing FWHC's professional, social networking, and web presence
- Manages budget expenditures for advertising, marketing, and communications
- Supervises and facilitates department's involvement in outreach events and appearances to enhance development and marketing objectives
- Directs plans for media work and creates opportunities to enhance FWHC’s local and national profile
- Participates in networking and develops partnerships with other organizations that create development and marketing opportunities
- Directs plans for printing of materials, such as collaterals, brochures, and swag, and in some cases, creates such materials
- Oversees compliance with Branding Guidelines and interdepartmental editorial calendar
- Oversees the development and implementation of overall brand style (social media guide, brand guide, email style guide) across departments
- Coordinates ordering and production of routinely required materials like business cards, branded materials, promotional collateral, signage, etc.
- Directs logistics and implementation of strategies to market events
- Manages clinic advertising contracts and platforms
- Monitors online reputation and patient reviews and coordinates appropriate response when required
- Takes a leadership role in preserving the integrity and messaging of FWHC outward and inward facing communications
- Occasionally represents our work at events and speak knowledgably about our mission, reproductive justice, our clinic services and CEAN programs, possibly presents an appeal for donations
Leadership Development and Supervision:
- Supervises, trains, mentors, and evaluates direct reports
- Motivates department members to ensure the successful management of department responsibilities
- Maintains and expands knowledge and skills by attending in-service programs, education webinars, workshops, and directed reading designed to promote professional growth
- Possesses knowledge of reproductive health, rights, and justice, the FWHC brand, and mission
- Supports leadership team and key staff in developing and maintaining press and media relations
- Supports development team in logistics and planning for major events
- Participates actively in Board Strategic Planning and provides an avenue for staff input for the strategic planning process.
- Is a fair and open decision-maker, meaningfully involving staff in decision-making whenever possible.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Experience working with and developing relationships with individual contributors, foundations, and/or corporations and soliciting gifts in the $1,000-$5,000+ range from individuals
- Demonstrated excellence in building communications and/or development materials and written communications to donors and other audiences
- Strong communication and listening, including the ability to communicate verbally and in written form to multiple audiences
- Excellent creative thinking skills
- Strong detail orientation, execution, and follow-through
- Comfort in leveraging technology to research, track and build relationships with potential funders
- Excellent collaboration and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity and experience using Microsoft Office, including Excel, and Adobe to build development materials
- Ability to understand and translate the Center’s mission into sound and creative management and fundraising strategies
- Must possess both enhanced communications (written/verbal) and teamwork skills to provide leadership both organizationally and in community collaborations
- Excels at attention to detail with excellent team building skills, creative problem solving and organizational development
- Willingness to accommodate the flexible schedule often necessary to participate in local community events and meetings
- Previous experience with reproductive and sexual health, reproductive rights or justice advocacy, organizational leadership, and/or public relations preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive health and compassionate abortion care, and a thorough understanding of reproductive justice
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, or move, and reach and grip items relatively far away. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Depending on location, a combination of in-office and virtual office at this time. Must be able to participate in online virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
- Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer, via phone, and in person.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- - - - - - - -
This position, as with all roles at the Feminist Women’s Health Center, includes upholding the philosophy and mission of the organization by:
- Maintaining work performance consistent with the organization’s policies and procedures
- Demonstrating an ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Maintaining a high degree of professional ethics to include confidentiality of all clients, donor, volunteer, and employee information
- Utilizing work time efficiently and with integrity
- Contributing to self-development and professional growth by seeking opportunities to learn through journals, seminars, or special programs, and sharing learning with others
- Communicating effectively with the Director of People and Organizational Culture on the status of work in progress, including written status reports and staff meetings
- Completing projects and work assignments as assigned by deadlines
Position will be reviewed annually on adherence to and performance in job functions as outlined on an annual basis, and may be modified as a result. The Director of Development and Communications will actively contribute to the development of this position and its function within the organization.
Feminist Women’s Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.