95 Prospect Park West
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn's flagship park. The Prospect Park Alliance’s Design and Construction Department is currently seeking an intermediate-level Assistant Architect to work on one or more architecture projects. The projects range from new buildings that incorporate sustainable design to the restoration of landmarked buildings, structures, bridges, monuments and arches. Candidates will have the opportunity to complete all facets of a project from initial design and planning through review of shop drawings and construction supervision. The office currently consists of four landscape architects, two architects, a construction supervisor and an archivist.
Under the direction of the Senior Architect, this individual will work as part of the Design and Construction team on projects of every scale. The Intermediate Assistant Architect is a temporary position and ineligible for benefits, however there is a possibility that the position becomes permanent (and therefore eligible for benefits) depending on the amount of work that the Department has in the future. Part-time hours would be considered but a full-time schedule is preferred. Salary will be commensurate with the experience level of the applicant.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning, design, coordination and detailing of architectural projects
- Preparation of architectural drawings for inclusion in contract documents and submittals to the NYC Buildings Department
- Preparation of specifications for inclusion in contract documents
- Drafting, rendering, illustration, and hand sketching
- Conducting site visits and field measurements of existing buildings
- Construction administration and field supervision of projects during construction
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA or MA in Architecture or Architectural Preservation
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a professional Architecture office working on design and the production of contract documents
- Proficiency in a recent version of AutoCAD, 3D Software, Adobe InDesign & Photoshop, Microsoft Office
- Experience working on NYC projects and some knowledge of NYC Buildings Department procedures
- Excellent graphic communication skills
- Familiarity with LEED and New York City and New York State energy code a plus
- Experience creating and coordinating construction drawings sets and details
- Experience writing specifications
- Ability to work well in a small close-knit studio environment
- Excellent communication skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and work samples in a single PDF (max 10 MB) along with your salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview. The Prospect Park Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Prospect Park Alliance
The Prospect Park Alliance is a non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park for the benefit of diverse communities, in partnership with the City of New York. Prospect Park is Brooklyn's flagship park and a National Historic Landmark, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux. The Alliance cares for the natural environment, preserves historic design and serves the community by providing public programming and Park amenities for the Park, which receives more than 10 million visits each year. The Alliance’s work in historic preservation and park revitalization is nationally recognized.