990 Spring Garden Street
The Director of Human Resources is a key strategic role for understanding and promoting the EducationWorks mission and serving as a Business Partner for EducationWorks Leadership, in Philadelphia, Chester, and Camden. The Director of Human Resources ensures that EducationWorks Human Resources (HR) supports an employee-focused, high performance, outcomes driven organizational culture. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the delivery and management of key HR functions of employee relations, performance management, benefits, compensation, certification and compliance. The Director of Human Resources works with leadership staff to address employee needs, manage personnel issues, and guide the performance management cycle. The Director of Human Resources is outcomes driven, organized, customer friendly and committed to the EducationWorks mission.
The Director of Human Resources reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Positively engage with leadership to facilitate the development of goals and objectives to support the EducationWorks mission and vision; promoting HR strategy and tactics in order to support these goals
- Manage ongoing processes related to the employment life cycle including; implementing and managing performance management, compensation system, managing employee personnel and performance issues as they arise, including investigating complaints or concerns, training, and supporting managers in making annual performance and compensation evaluations
- The Director of Human Resources is an approachable and available trusted advisor, managing relationship across the organization, ensuring exceptional personal interactions, norming of leaders, proactively managing expectations and processes, the timely meeting of deliverables and service
- Provides ongoing project management to ensure deliverables are met on a timely and quality basis
- Responsible for analyzing survey and staff retention data including developing recommendations for improvements to leadership and utilizing the data to inform decisions
- Assist in the establishment of management practices that support positive employer-employee relationships and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation
- Maintain sound working knowledge of compliance with local, state, and federal labor and human relations laws and potential/actual impact on the organization
- Work with the Executive Director to maintain the overall Human Resources budgets; contribute to the development and implementation of cost-saving measures
- Proactively seek knowledge, expertise in the HR environment, as well as general best practices in business trends and practices impacting EducationWorks; share this expertise with others
- Work in a collaborative and supportive manner to provide strategic direction and support to other members of the HR team
- Coordinate and process staff contracts, offer letters, and new hire paperwork
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree; graduate degree in related field, preferred.
- HRCI or SHRM professional designation (i.e., PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP) preferred.
- Minimum of ten years’ relevant progressive Human Resources experience, including related experience in a consultative role and a proven ability to meet client expectations and deliver results.
- Previous experience in an urban education setting, preferred.
- Demonstrated record of serving as an approachable and trustworthy advisor, managing relationships all organizational levels, ensuring exceptional personal interactions, influencing leaders, managing expectations and processes, and meeting service delivery targets.
- Prior experience coaching senior management, with demonstrated program development expertise.
- Broad working knowledge and experience with employment law (PA and NJ), compensation practices, organization development, employee relations, and learning and development.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; comfortable representing the organization in meetings and larger venues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; exhibits strong desire to collaborate with others within and outside of own department and area of expertise.
- Strong technical aptitude, including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Office 365 (Outlook, OneDrive, and SharePoint).
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; proven competence with managing high volumes of documentation in electronic and paper formats.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation to travel to program sites, as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Six to ten (6 to 10) years of relevant progressive Human Resources experience, including related experience in a consultative role with proven ability to meet client expectations and deliver results
- Experience in urban schools or other educational settings a plus
- Prior experience coaching senior management is essential, with demonstrated program development expertise
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organization development, employee relations, and/or training and development
- Working knowledge of PA and NJ regulations and employment law preferred
Ability to physically perform the duties required and to work in the environmental conditions required such as
- Traveling to schools – valid driver’s license and/or access to transportation when necessary
- Maneuvering in an office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls
- Standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speaking loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, dry erase board, or projector
- Medical insurance,including prescription (employer subsidized);
- Dental insurance;
- Disability coverage;
- 401(k) plan;
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) allotment
Minimum Education Required