Details: Job is paid on an hourly rate and pay is competitive.
500 North Dearborn Street
The Chicago Humanities Festival connects people to the ideas that shape and define us, and promotes the lifelong exploration of what it means to be human. CHF fosters curiosity, celebrates creativity, explores the boundaries of contemporary knowledge and culture, and challenges us to see ourselves and the world anew.
We produce more than 140 programs annually, reaching a live audience of nearly 50,000 adults and +12,000 youth. In our history, we have presented over 3,000 outstanding speakers, including: 10 Nobel Laureates; 73 Pulitzer Prize winners; 56 MacArthur “Genius” Fellows; 34 Academy Award, Tony, and Grammy winners; and 18 James Beard Award winners. Our dedicated YouTube channel has had over 4.4 million views. Additional information is available at chicagohumanities.org.
2018 Fall Festival: October 27 – November 11
Employment Contract: Week of August 6, exact date TBA after interviews, through Friday, November 16.
Interviews begin: Week of July 23
Required new hire training: Week of August 6
About Audience Services Representatives
ASRs are the frontline voice of CHF and its box office, and they are multifaceted. ASRs provide the highest level of customer service to people of all ages and abilities; they lead volunteers; they troubleshoot technology; and, they work independently as project leaders and together with their box office peers.
ASRs are part-time hourly, seasonal staff. ASRs work daytime hours in the box office during weekdays (August-November), and during festival programming, ASRs work additional hours during evenings and weekends (October 27-November 11). Complete availability is required during Festival dates. Festival hours vary based on venue assignment. A compensated training begins in early August. Business hours are Monday – Friday, 10A – 5P. Schedules are made in advance based on availability. Hourly pay is competitive.
- Processing ticket orders by taking calls, processing cash and credit card transactions, mailing tickets
- Carefully maintaining customer records using ticketing software, SRO4
- Providing excellent customer service over the phone and in person
- Fulfilling requests for accessible accommodations
- Leading as a Box Office Manager at event venues
- Training volunteers at event venues
- Acting as a representative of the Chicago Humanities Festival and its programs
- Expanding our membership program by informing our audience about its benefits
- Assisting administrative staff on projects as assigned
Applicants must possess
- Experience in theater box office or customer service
- Tech-savvy with solid computer, data entry, and database management experience
- A professional demeanor with good communication skills
- A demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
- Ability to multi-task with accuracy and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and assertiveness in problem solving
- High energy, a positive personality, and grace under pressure
- An interest in working in the arts or cultural industry
Helpful, though not required:
- Familiarity with Chicago cultural venues
- Training in disability awareness, CPR, or American Sign Language
- Ability to speak conversational Spanish
Level of Language Proficiency
Job is performed in English, though ability to communicate in conversational Spanish or American Sign Language is considered a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email the following materials on or before Tuesday, July 31st 2018:
- Letter of interest
- Contact information for, minimum 2, professional references
How should I format my subject line?
Due to the potential number of candidates, please format subject lines exactly as shown below.
2018 Fall ASR Application: [First Name, Last Name]
- [Example] 2018 Fall ASR Application: John Smith
When will I be notified of a potential callback and interview?
All ASR candidates will not receive interviews or be contacted until the final week of July.
We look forward to reviewing your materials.
Email applications only. No phone calls please.
The Chicago Humanities Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer