JDC, the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian group, is seeking a Media Relations Specialist for its Global Marketing and Communications Department. This role will work directly under the Director of Media Relations & Communication within the larger Marketing and Communications Department. The Specialist will help position the organization across the broad spectrum of global media and assist in the daily promotion of the organization’s multi-faceted, multi-lingual aid program in more than 70 countries worldwide.
This position is ideal for an independent PR professional who has direct experience responding to breaking news on the 24/7 news cycle. Strong PR/media skill set, news media contact list, and proven track record of placement and journalist cultivation is essential. Strong knowledge of Jewish cultural, organizational, and community life is critical. Familiarity with international affairs and global development trends is highly desirable. Flexible schedule and off-hours work required.
What will you do as a Media Relations / PR Specialist?
· In conjunction with Director of Media Relations & Communications, draft media releases, media alerts, pitch letters, letters to the editor, op-eds, feature stories, and ad content
· Develop and proactively cultivate connections with media outlets, public figures, and decision makers
· Assist in maintaining current media lists
· Maintain online and print clips to inform future strategy and enhance media outreach opportunities
· Create content for social media and online platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, blogs, e-newsletters, online advertorials, etc.
· Place and write obituaries
· Help to develop new and update current materials for press kits
· Travel overseas as needed
· Work nights and weekends as required by the 24/7 news cycle
· Become an expert on the organization’s work
· Other related duties as assigned
Who is the Media Relations/ PR Specialist?
· Lives the news cycle, follows news, and loves to create the news, particularly geopolitical news (following Jewish or Israeli news a plus)
· Enjoys learning and has enthusiasm and skill for analyzing and assimilating information from a variety of sources
· Collaborative, people-oriented, and excellent at building relationships both internally in the organization and externally with partners and media outlets
· Interested in the work of those around them; goes the extra mile to learn about and show gratitude for the work of their colleagues
· Comfortable with JDC’s non-partisan and non-denominational stance, understanding how to frame issues neutrally
· Passionate about JDC’s mission, eager to become an expert in JDC’s diverse global initiatives
· Knowledgeable about Judaism, Jewish concepts, Israel, and the diversity of Jewish community life and various outlooks on issues facing the community.
· Highly organized, ready to hit the ground running in a fast-paced environment
What qualifications do you need to be our Media Relations / PR Specialist?
· 4-7 years of public relations, public affairs, and/or journalism experience
· Bachelor’s degree preferred, degree in relevant field (journalism, marketing, PR) a plus
· Working knowledge of public relations strategy, crisis communications, and related skill sets
· Strong, current news media contact list required
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Demonstrated ability and the initiative to produce accurate and well-written documents
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with a variety of people from different countries
· Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task
· Proficiency in Russian, Hebrew, Spanish, and/or French is a plus, but not a requirement
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Together, we are committed to making a positive impact on the lives of others
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
What are the compensation and benefits for a Media Relations / PR Specialist?
· This a full time, salaried position
· We offer a highly competitive benefits and compensation package, including but not limited to:
o 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
o PTO, including vacation days, sick and personal days, and Jewish and national holidays
o 403(b) with employer contributions
o Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
o Beverages/snacks in the office
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, writing samples, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Idealist.org, Media Relations/PR Specialist – FULL NAME’. Applications without a writing sample included will not be considered. Writing samples may include press releases, op-eds, published news articles, and/or other writing relevant to media relations.