Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area is one of the largest chapters in the Make-A-Wish network, the world’s largest and most successful wish granting organization. Our Chapter serves children from 17 counties from Monterey County to the Oregon border and anticipates fulfilling over 400 magical wishes this year. The impact of our wish granting is broad, as we rely on an extensive network of volunteers to make wishes come true. As we approach our 35th year as a chapter, we are embarking on a strategic direction to dramatically grow the number of wishes we are granting to eligible children and are seeking a talented and energetic individual to join our Development team.
The Development department is responsible for raising $3.9 million from individuals in donations annually. The Development Manager, reporting to the Senior Director of Individual Giving, is responsible for raising funds from both existing donors, as well as prospecting for new donors to the organization and developing and stewarding these donors. The successful candidate is passionate about our mission, an accomplished fundraiser, a strong communicator, and a team player as well as creative self-starter that will take the initiative to get the job done. This is a full-time, exempt position.
• Under the direction of the Senior Director, manage and grow individual portfolio of 75-100 donors and prospects and develop cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies in support of stated yearly revenue goals
• Cultivate individual donors/prospective donors for donors making gifts of $2,500 - $10,000
• Cultivate individual and prospective wish family donors as appropriate
• Manage Club 365 program, with support from Development Associate, including communications to these donors via personal meeting, phone call, email and letter encouraging their continued support
• Analyze gifts on an ongoing basis to identify recurring donors who warrant a personal outreach, craft engagement plan, and implement plan through a mixture of personal meetings, phone calls, emails and letters
• Support the Senior Director in communicating and soliciting support from select Regional Advisory Council (RAC) members and Young Professionals Advisory Council (YPAC) members
• As appropriate, participate in individual and group meetings with members of the RAC and YPAC including prospecting and list review meetings, cultivation visits and solicitations
FUNDRAISING PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
• With Development Team, support Planned Giving efforts as needed and in conjunction with personal portfolio of donors and prospects
• Grants – manage small portfolio of foundations grants, including preparing and submitting grant applications and funder reports. Prospect for new foundation partners and work across organization to identify specific funding opportunities.
• Under direction of Senior Director, coordinate efforts and work closely with Events team to engage donors and prospects in specific fundraising events to support the success of specific fundraising events and further the cultivation and involvement of donors
• Regularly conduct basic prospect research on existing and prospective donors
• Prepare briefings and other materials as necessary for donor meetings
• Provide support in planning and implementing high-level development meetings as appropriate, including major solicitations and briefings
• Under direction of Senior Director, staff MAW Board and Event Committees and Advisory Councils as necessary
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• BA or equivalent, minimum 4 years development experience
• Experience in donor meetings/direct solicitation
• Professional demeanor in person and on the phone
• Excellent communication skills
• Organizational and computer and database skills necessary / Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
• Interest in nonprofit work and belief in and commitment to the organizational mission
• Valid CA Driver’s License and access to personal car for occasional travel
• Some evening and weekend commitments required
• Able to lift 40 lbs
• Ideal candidate will be well organized, have excellent and prompt follow through, meet deadlines
and love working in a fun and fast paced environment for a world-class charity!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a letter of interest and a resume to:
Development Manager Search
Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area
1333 Broadway, Suite 200
Oakland, CA 94612
No phone calls, please. Position is open until filled. EOE