446 West 33rd Street
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Development will lead the Organization’s efforts in strategically planning and developing fundraising initiatives, building and managing relationships with donors, and expanding awareness about the organization. The person in this position is responsible for the cultivation and stewardship of our various donation programs, including fundraising events, grant writing, email solicitations/direct mail campaigns, major gifts, and donor databases, using a data driven approach.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Leading and executing key philanthropic programs, implementing a diverse portfolio of fundraising strategies. In concert with the senior management team, the Vice President of Development will create annual work plans for his/her assigned programs & implement appropriate strategies in order to successfully meet financial goals associated with each fundraising program.
- Establish and strengthen funding relationships through cultivation and stewardship of existing and prospective funders.
- Develop major gift prospect list and implement successful major gifts program including recognition and renewals.
- Secure high level meetings for CEO, senior leaders and him/herself to solicit large gifts from a variety of sources, including individuals, private/family foundations, and corporations.
- Work with the Board of Directors by leveraging their resources and networks, ensuring that each Board member works towards their give/get obligation.
- Oversee and manage consultants to create and develop direct mail and email campaigns, and monitor results.
- Create and analyze various metrics for measuring success of individual fundraising campaigns and measuring the same against Strategic Initiatives.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Establish productive working relationships with colleagues across all initiatives and departments, especially Finance & IT, in order to successfully implement revenue-generating strategies and improve development tools & resources.
- Together with the Vice President of Communications and Marketing, fully integrate and maximize organizational marketing resources, and develop strong marketing materials directed towards funders including annual report, electronic (website) and print communications, and donor recognition materials.
- Supervise and coach direct reports. Ensure professional development & success of team in achieving revenue goals.
- Stay abreast of developments in philanthropy and fund development as well as the general fields of management and the nonprofit sector.
- Perform any additional duties deemed necessary by Chief Executive Officer.
Education and Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of five years of proven experience within development and communications (with demonstration of increased responsibilities and pattern of success).
- Experience working within non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in philanthropy, motivations for giving, research and cultivation practices, and standard fundraising techniques.
- Experience in managing the full spectrum of development, including prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, gift solicitation from all sources -- foundation, corporate, individual, sponsorship, cause marketing, special events and campaigns.
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Confidence, creativity and maturity to establish credibility with and influence donors at all levels.
- Proven effectiveness as a senior leader
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and experience with web development and/or database software packages.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to create new ones.
- Charismatic and personable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
When applying, please include both cover letter and resume.
For other opportunities at GMHC, visit our careers site: http://www.gmhc.org/get-involved/careers.